Bidirectional Multiplexer

Discussion and support for the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer
Luis Sa
Site Admin

Bidirectional Multiplexer

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Hello,

I am releasing firmware version 4.0 of the NMEA2WIFI multiplexer. In this version you can:

1) Send through the serial output port data received by wifi. With this facility you can, for example, control your autopilot using your smartphone

2) Select the data streams that pass through the multiplexer. For example, you can choose serial input port 1 or serial port 2 or both to be transmitted through wifi. Also you select what is output on serial port P#3 (any combination of inputs P#1, P#2 or Wifi). In version 3.0 you only had the options of: Serial Out = ON or OFF; Wifi Out = ON or OFF

If you do not need any of these improvements, you should go on with version 3.0. If you want to try this new firmware you should download the file NMEA2WIFIV40.bin and use the method explained in the previous post of this forum.

When this new firmware is fully tested, new units will be dispatched with it. You can see here the user settings page for the new version.

Note: I released NMEA2WIFIV41.bin which version 4.1 of the firmware. If you have version 4.0 you do not need this new version unless you need to test the operation of the Nmea 183 serial ports as described here.

Regards, Luis

zigakusar

Re: Bidirectional Multiplexer

Post by zigakusar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:42 pm

I have made extensive test with new firmware. First at my home with electronic used on my sailboat, and then also at sea.
My setup is:
- NMEA2WIFI (nmea to wifi converter)
- Daisy AIS (AIS receiver, connected via RS-232 TTL built-in interface to NMEA2WIFI on P2)
- Humminbird Matrix 17 with GPS (Fishfinder with serial GPS receiver, connected via RS-232 interfaceto NMEA2WIFI on P1)
- Raymarine ST1000+ autopilot (NMEA autopilot, connected via RS-232 interface to NMEA2WIFI on P3)
- OpenCPN on android smartphone

I have left home test running couple of times. The longest test takes 2 complete days. And I didn't found any issue. The system was stable and reliable all the time.
I have also run a test on my sailboat. Duration of this test was 2 hours without any problem.

With NMEA2WIFI I have advantages:
- Now I have redundancy. If my GPS connected to Fishfinder stop working, I can use GPS on my smartphone.
- If navigation on my Fishfinder stop working, I can drive autopilot from Open CPN on android smartphone.
- If the weather is bad, I have all essential data on my smartphone too.
- I can use andhor alarm and AIS radar on smartphone - that is not supported on my Humminbird.