Add a protection to your multiplexer

Discussion and support for the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Luis Sa
Site Admin

Add a protection to your multiplexer

Post by Luis Sa » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:17 am

Hello,

This article only relates to users that got the multiplexer before September, 1, 2017. In order to supply power to the multiplexer you need to connect +12V (or something between 7V and 18V) to the 12V terminal of the power screw connector and 0V to the GND terminal of the power screw connector. If you connect it the other way round you will get smoke and the voltage regulator will need to be replaced. When I returned home from Greece in the beginning of September and was mounting and testing a series of new units, it happened to me once! :cry: So, in order to avoid that to my users, I decided to make a correction/addition to the PCB. It is not very nice but it is better than nothing.

When the PCBs finish and I make new ones, I will add one 1N4007 (or 1N4001 or 1N4002 or ...) diode like this:

circuit-1n4007.gif

For the moment, I am including this diode underneath the PCB. I cut the the cooper track that comes from the 12V input terminal and I solder the small diode as shown in the following picture. If you have an older module and you think you may connect the multiplexer in the wrong way, you can do it as well. You will need a cutter and a solder iron.

pcb-diode.jpg

Regards, Luis