Connecting a JGTech Autonnic Wind Sensor and App to Use with it.

Discussion and support for the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Conway

Connecting a JGTech Autonnic Wind Sensor and App to Use with it.

Post by Conway » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:09 pm

Hi,

I have bought a Nmea2wifi box, a JGTech Autonnic wind sensor and was hoping to get some wind info out in to an android phone or tablet. I tried to see if it would work with the digital yacht app but no luck. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Wind sensor details here:
http://www.jgtech.com/shop9.htm#JGTech

Curently have tried the NMEA out to connection A1, shield to zero volts and red to +12v.

The nmea input to the wind sensor: I have tried not connected and to B3 and gnd, but neither made any difference.

Will have another attempt later in the week. But please, if any one can help and or suggest an app to get me started I would be most great full.

Thanks

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Connecting a JGTech Autonnic Wind Sensor and App to Use with it.

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 pm

Hello,

Sorry for not answering sooner but I had not the NMea2Wifi forum subscribed :oops:

I read the datasheet and the manual of the wind sensor. I must say that I have no idea how you can change the settings of the wind sensor by writing into its input nmea port. I see a diagram to connect it to a PC. Is there any PC app to do that?
If yes, you can pass information from the PC to the multiplexer by Wifi and then use the (A3,B3,GND) multiplexer port to deliver data at the (Nmea In+ , Nmea In-) input port of the A5120. These connections are in Red. Only use them if you have a purpose for it.

a5120.gif

In order to deliver the information from the wind sensor to the multiplexer use the connections in Black. You do not need to use an App at this stage. If the baud rate for the (A1,B1) port is 4800 then you should be able to see the Green Led to blink when data arrives to the multiplexer. If that is OK go on for the next step and try to see the wind data in your App.

I hope that the problem you found was not connecting GND to A2. Please come back if you still have problems.

Regards, Luis

Conway

Post by Conway » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:05 pm

Thanks Luis,
that was super helpful and is working in a fashion as I have managed to get some data in to nke display but it is only loging the raw data in the form:

1517439255678:$WIMWV,334.5,R3.5,N,A

But does keep running until stopped and is registering the differnt data values for speed and direction.

Just need to find an app to display it graphically I guess or two large digits would do to start with.

Any ideas?

But really thank you for the help and hope other customers take less of your time and I have to recommend your product (anybody reading this).

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:45 pm

Hello,

I am glad you get it working and thank you for the recommendation. I use SeaWi for Android which can show different data including AIS. I am not sure if are looking for an App to show only wind data. Unfortunately SeaWi can not be set to show wind data only. I hope you find a good App!

Regards, Luis