Nmea2Wifi using UDP and TCP protocols

Discussion and support for the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Luis Sa
Site Admin

Nmea2Wifi using UDP and TCP protocols

Post by Luis Sa » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:27 pm

Hello,

I am releasing a new firmware NMEA2WIFIV53.bin (previous version was NMEA2WIFIV41.bin) which supports bidirectional communication between the serial ports and wifi using the TCP (in addition to the UDP) protocol. I will be extremely grateful if you send me feedback about this firmware to my personal email or using the private message facility of this forum. If no problems are detected I will include version 53 in future units.

You can see here the new initial WebPage when you type 192.168.4.1 in your browser. The main additions are:

a) the WebPage used for the settings is now much more responsive (before, and on occasions, we needed to press twice a command for it to be accepted).

b) Wifi input and output now use the same port (before, you had to specify an input UDP port number and an output UDP port number).

c) You can choose between TCP or UDP protocols. If you want to use UDP only (as in the previous version) you set the TCP port number to ZERO. In the same way, setting the UDP port number to ZERO, only TCP is available. You can have both protocols active by choosing non ZERO port numbers for UDP and TCP.

d) Only one client can connect to the multiplexer using the TCP protocol. If you have an application that requires TCP say, iNavX, you set a TCP port number between 1024 up to 65535 (different from the UDP port number, though) on the multiplexer and the same port number on the iNavX. In addition you specify on the iNavX the IP 192.168.4.1 as the IP of the TCP server (the multiplexer will be the server and the iNavX will be the client).

e) If you are using a TCP connection as described in d) no more devices can connect to the multiplexer. If you need more devices you should set the devices to use UDP. The UDP port number (on the multiplexer and on the extra devices) should be different from the one set for TCP.

I hope you like this improvement. Regards, Luis