NMEA2WIFI Vs iPad

Discussion and support for the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
RogW

NMEA2WIFI Vs iPad

Post by RogW » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi Luis and all, I recently picked up the kit form of the converter built it and upgraded it to version 4.1 (didnt see the beta version of 5.3 was available). I have it connected to an old Furuno GP-32 for the GPS input, all is well and i get the blinkenlights etc.
I have the unit configured to output UDP port 2000 and have the iSailor app on my iPad (IOS11.4). looking at the data trace in the app i can see the NMEA messages being received ok, but for some reason the iPad (and my iPhone) will drop the wifi connection with the converter after a short amount of time. This can be within a few seconds or up to 10 minutes etc. Are there any recommendations or thoughts out there of what could be done to improve the wifi link stability to the iOS devices?
My next test would be to take a laptop down to the boat and monitor the conenction with wireshark or smoething to make sure the link stays up.
Obviously i will upgrade to v5.3 as soon as i can.
Cheers RW

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: NMEA2WIFI Vs iPad

Post by Luis Sa » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Hello,

I suggest you get the latest firmware. The problem you refer to could come (I am not sure) from the following:

- your ipad or laptop can connect to an existing wifi network with internet and they prefer that wifi instead of the multiplexer. Or you have mobile data on.

I only use android and do not know about Ios. But when I want my smartphone to receive Nmea183 data I set it not to connect to other existing networks. I also set mobile data off.

Hope that could help, Regards Luis