Nmea4Wifi - 4 inputs Multiplexer

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Luis Sa
Site Admin

Nmea4Wifi - 4 inputs Multiplexer

Post by Luis Sa » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:19 pm

nmea4wifi.gif
nmea4wifi.gif (4.68 KiB) Viewed 13500 times

The Nmea4Wifi multiplexer allows bidirectional serial and wifi communication between your smart-phone, tablet or laptop and your boat instrumentation. The Nmea4Wifi multiplexer can be simply configured using a Web Browser. It has four opto-isolated Nmea 0183 input ports and one Nmea 0183 output port. The multiplexer also has an input/output USB port. One of the 4 input ports can be configured to receive SeaTalk1 data which will be converted to Nmea 0183 data. Wifi communication can use both the UDP and the TCP internet protocols. In total there can exist 6 input streams of data (4 serial, 1 UDP and 1 TCP) and 3 output streams of data (1 serial, 1 UDP and 1 TCP). The 6 input streams can be filtered, combined and transmitted to the receivers on any of the 3 output streams. Serial output can also be filtered.

Please go here and check the description and characteristics of this new powerful multiplexer.

sagwin

Re: Nmea4Wifi - New in 2019!

Post by sagwin » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:06 pm

I like the characteristics of the new NMEA4Wifi. This is what I was looking for.

However, one thing is still not clear to me.

Is it possible to have a Seatalk Input via Wifi as the app MID Wifi would request to steer an Autopilot via Seatalk or NMEA0183?
If not, would that be something which can be changed for example via a new firmware version in the future or does that need hardware changes?

I downloaded the help file but there was no content.

Do you have a rough estimation when in 2019 the multiplexer will be available?

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Nmea4Wifi - New in 2019!

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:55 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your the interest in the multiplexer. The multiplexer is only capable of reading SeaTalk data. It would be necessary to make a small change in the hardware to output SeaTalk data.

The Help file has a 830KB. Please check again if you can download and open it. I am trying to convert this chm file to the html format so that it would be opened and viewed more easily.

My plan is to start the selling on the first week of 2019.

Regards, Luis

Cormoran

Re: Nmea4Wifi - 4 inputs Multiplexer

Post by Cormoran » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:15 am

Hello, my question is, what kind of seatalk data can we read with NMA4Wifi and how is translated to nmea183? The datagrams and nmea183 message are little bit different...
And the other question: the presented Nmea4Wifi will upgradable to bidirectional seatalk communication at the next?

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Nmea4Wifi - 4 inputs Multiplexer

Post by Luis Sa » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:01 pm

Hello

If you visit the Nmea2Wifi forum and read the Seatalk topic you will find the programme that translates Seatalk1 datagrams to Nmea 0183 sentences. If you have the Arduino IDE and an esp32 module you can run and simulate all type of conversions. Nmea4Wifi uses that programme.

Unfortunately the hardware is not prepared to do the reverse. It would need a separate port to transmit on the Seatalk1 bus.

Regards, Luis

PS: the conversion is based on these documents:

- SeaTalk Technical Reference by Thomas Knauf http://www.thomasknauf.de/seatalk.htm
- NMEA Revealed by Eric S. Raymond http://www.catb.org/gpsd/NMEA.html