Nmea4wifi wifi broken?

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Ben

Nmea4wifi wifi broken?

Post by Ben » Mon May 15, 2023 8:46 pm

After months in winter sleep the nmea4wifi will not connect anymore. When connect directly over usb then I see the wifi on my Ipad. Tried the over the air upgrade to the latest 5.x and this went well.
Even in this version the nmea4wifi is not emitting any wifi signal…any tips ?.
Thx in advance,
Ben

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Nmea4wifi wifi broken?

Post by Luis Sa » Mon May 15, 2023 10:00 pm

Hello,

If it works when powered by USB, then it looks that it is the 12V to 5V regulator is not working. Are you able to measure a DC voltage with a multimeter?

I wait for your feedback. Please send me by email the model (TH or SMD) and date of purchase.

Regards, Luis

Ben

Post by Ben » Tue May 16, 2023 7:09 am

Sure, i have a multimeter:-)
Model TH

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Tue May 16, 2023 11:24 am

Hello,

Removing USB cable and just supplying +12V and GND, check the +5 volts voltage. You can measure it at pin 8 of the 3 ICs. The MAX485 is not under the esp32 module and it will be easier to check. Or the middle pin of the voltage regulator (with caution not to make a short to the adjacent pins). Please see the schematics.

If 12V reach the regulator and +5V are not generated, the regulator should be replaced. Also check if any part is hot.

Possibly you need to return the multiplexer for me to check it in September. Depending on what you find I may need to ask someone to send you a new one from Portugal.

Greetings from Chios, 🇬🇷

Ben

Post by Ben » Tue May 16, 2023 7:31 pm

ok, I will try.
For what its worth, the piggyboard red led is lit when 12 volt is supplied via the 'normal' connection.
Earlier I tried to reprogram this esp-wroom32 board via my pc and usb cable. no success.
Again, connected with the usb-cable then it is red and blue and wifi works.
First things first: measuring the 5 Volts...

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Wed May 17, 2023 5:14 am

Hello,

Is your TH unit one that uses a small red PCB regulator? Could you send me a photo for me to identify the unit?

Please deal with this case using my email.

Sailing from Chios to Samos, Luis

Ben

Post by Ben » Mon May 22, 2023 3:58 pm

Hi Luis,
Been for a short sailing trip:-)
I ordered a new board and could reprogram it (the old one was not visible via the usb). Now everything seems to be ok.
I think the esp32 is corrupt and with te same code I have a new one working again (?)
See photo for my nmea4wifi
Thanks,
Ben