Seatalk to nmea183 depth conversion?

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Seatalk to nmea183 depth conversion?

Post by Luis Sa » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:18 pm

Hello Marchi,

I discovered a pattern on your pair of values. It is a pity that you can not send me the "multiplexer reading" when the real depth is greater than 8 metres. I think I made a mistake in the interpretation of the Seatalk1 datagrams. Are you able to check other variables apart from depth? For example, are you getting speed over the water? Could you please tell me which variables you can get from the Seatalk1 bus?

I could send a new bin file with a (possible) correction of the depth error but would like to know if there are more errors.

Regards, Luis

Marchi

Post by Marchi » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Shure, I'll send you total nmea data log when I'll go sailing.
On the dock I'm getting DPT, APW, APA, WTE. I think thats it. Water temperature is not wrong as you may think form debug window, but Raymarines tridata temp senzor is malfuncion.

Did you instal nmea4wifi on your boat? What it shows?

Cormoran

Post by Cormoran » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:30 am

Dear Luis,

As I send to you a few video before, there is one of them about the same translate problem. Not only the speed and depth but the temperature data are wrong too) I seen the translated Seatalk data only one time correctly if I can to see only one time the accumulated mileage between the translated data
"Total mileage" or "total & trip log" I don't know which is the correct datagram from my Raymarine i40 Bidata. i40 is the next generation of ST40 but same construction (http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=4870)
The datagram as you can see on the page of Thomas Knauf ( http://www.thomasknauf.de/rap/seatalk2.htm ) started with 22 or 25 hex number.
This is my short video. I put my Raymarine i40 to demo mode and can read the datagram from the equipment without sensors. I connected to Nmea4Wifi on P4 as Seatalk input and forward the data from my i40 to wifi and to P5 as converted nmea183. I seen those translated data on my iPad EDO instruments app (by Seamantec) with UDP connect. As you can see the getting back data are not correct compared to the screen of my i40.

https://youtu.be/Q1BjRdjmrsM

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:28 am

Hello George,

Thank you for the feedback. What you say confirms what I was suspecting. I made a mistake! I will explain using the depth below transducer which is the first datagram described in Thomas Knauf document. You can read there XXXX/10 is depth in feet. XXXX is a 2 byte contained in Seatalk1 3rd and 4th bytes of the DBT datagram. I was assuming that the most significant byte was the 3rd and that least significant byte was the 4rd. But looking to the Marchi depth results the 4th is always zero and the 3rd contains 10 times the depth that is sees in his St60.

Situations like that (data on 2 bytes) occur in other datagrams. My boat goes to the water tomorrow and then I will revise the firmware. It is easy for me to do that. I expect that you test it before I release it.

Regards Luis :oops:

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:13 pm

Dear Marshi and George,

I fixed the Depth below transducer, Speed through water, Trip Mileage, Total Mileage, Speed through water, Water temperature, LAT position, LON position and Speed over Ground.

The new BIN file is here:

https://www.vela-navega.com/nmea4wifi/v ... IFIV25.BIN

I would be extremely grateful if you could try it and tell me which variables you tested!

Best Regards, Luis

Marchi

Post by Marchi » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:23 pm

Dear Luis,
Great news from you!
I'll test new firmware in coming days and let you know.

Cormoran

Post by Cormoran » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:05 pm

Dear Luis,

Tomorrow I can try on my i40 but only demo mode because my boat is it in my garden now. But should be give correct information too. Let see...

Regards, George

diogobz

Post by diogobz » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:45 am

Any more updates on this?

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:37 am

Hello,

Nmea4Wifi with firmware version 27 and Nmea2Wifi with firmware version 58, work as expected in converting Seatalk1 datagrams to Nmea183 sentences. This is the latest feedback that I received here in this foum:

Bonjour Luis j'ai installé la version 27.bin cela fonctionne correctement . la profondeur est correcte .Avec le seatalk1 j'affiche sur l'application tz iboat ,position du bateau ,COG ,SOG,HDG,DPT,TWS,TWD,AWS,TWA,AWA,SST ainsi que toutes les données de route .Luis tu as fait du bon travail merci encore .
Cordialement Alain

Regards Luis