Struggle with OTA update

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
damedechine

Struggle with OTA update

Post by damedechine » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:27 pm

Hello,
I would like to update OTA my nmea4wifi multiplexer cause I use seatalk ST40 depth tranducer and the translation is bad. Also i lost GPS information sometimes maybe the fix on UDP speed can help with that.
I'm currently with 2.1version and would like to update to the 2.6firmware.
I get an error message saying the esp32 is not ready or responding, i know i miss something, should i press a button on the board while launching update ?
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

edit: I RTFM but didn't find anything about it

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Struggle with OTA update

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:20 pm

Hello,

If the ESP32 with firmware 2.1 is working then you should be able to update it over the air. I would start by making a factory reset by pressing and holding the Boot button for about 3 seconds. You enter 192.168.4.1 and check if the settings are as the factory settings. You get the new firmware bin file and store it on your PC. Then in the PC browser you type 192.168.4.1:82 and you should receive a page asking for the location of the bin file. You point to that file and you press the button to make the upload. You should wait about one minute and you receive the SUCCESS response.

Probably you have done that. Please tell at what stage it fails. If you have a problem I may be able to send you a flashed unit when I return home 3 weeks from now.

Regards Luis

damedechine

Post by damedechine » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:23 pm

Thank you very much Luis for your reply, i didn't try that cause i wanted to keep my configuration but i will give a try right now hopping it works.
I keep you in touch and in the case it doesnt work i would gladly accept your offer to exchange with a flashed one.
Keep you in touch asap, thanks again

Edit, ok so I did a factory reset and still getting error message via nmea4wifi app (esp32 not ready or doesnt responding to OTA) and a reset connection with error page (website non accesible) from firefox when i try by 192.168.4.1:82... stuck with the 2.1 for now

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:18 pm

Hello,

I normally use Chrome on my Windows 10 laptop when I update using OTA. I need to test with Firefox.

Please email me privately in the middle of August so that I remember to send you a flashed unit.

Regards Luis

damedechine

Post by damedechine » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:34 am

Hello, today I tried with chrome same story...
I'm used to arduino and esp32board, if there is the process to flash it using arduino IDE (or other IDE) and usb I can handle it.
If not i will send you an PM half of august.
Thanks again for your help Luis and once again, great product ! i talk about it on every french board.

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:42 pm

Hello damedechina,

I am ready to send you a flashed esp32 unit. I must say that I have just update the firmware of many multiplexers to version 2.7 without problems. I noticed that I receive the alert "Insecure" connection (see the red text in the picture). I wonder if there is some protection on your browser that avoids to display "insecured" webpages.

insecure.gif
insecure.gif (10.62 KiB) Viewed 20845 times

Please write me privately giving your address.

Regards, Luis

ScottN.

Post by ScottN. » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:49 pm

For me with device on ver 2.6, OTA did not work until I disconnected the port inputs I use. GPS into Port1 38.4 and Seatalk.

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:04 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. I never thought it could be the problem. When I do an update I always remove the ESP32 module from the socket and power it up with an USB cable.

Having the module operating in its target location and per your feedback, it looks like we should remove the inputs or, may be, using 9 in the filtering string.

Regards Luis

Cormoran

Post by Cormoran » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:59 pm

Dear Luis,

I tried some times to OTA update, but doesn't work well my equipment. We talked about many times and there was many of magical problem with the wifi connect and the data too. I can't use my equipment all of the summer, because doesn't work correctly. When you send the last firmware version 2.7, there was terrible for me, because after upload the OTA update ino file I can't upload the firmware to the equipment or if I can, no more wifi connect to the NMEA4WIFI any more. I bought 2 pieces Wemos module, because I was sure the original module has any problem.
And today I found the problem! I share it, because some other guys may has many of hard hours with same problem.
This equipment or the firmware is very sensitive for newest core version than ESP32 1.0.0 !!!
I have an other ESP 32 board and I updated the board automatically in Arduino IDE, when I got a message from the program. When I install back the esp32 by Espressif Systems version 1.0.0 there was OK everything on all of the tree module. Looks like working correctly I tried the transmission with Nmea4Wifi tool and Packet sender too, but only one data /HDG/ comings from my ST1000 +. The numbers are same on the screen of my ST1000+ and on the Computer monitor. Next time I will try the data transmission with my Raymarine i40 too! I'm happy! :-)

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:32 pm

Hello George,

Thank you for your feedback and patience in leading with the "seatalk problem". I am again in Turkey until the end of the month and I cannot check what is the version of the ESP32 that the Wemos module uses.

Except in the beginning of the development, I buy the modules from the same supplier which is the manufacturer. I never experienced any problems with the OTA update. This August when I was in Portugal I updated about 30 units with version 2.7 without problems.

I am also very happy that you are OK now!

Best Regards Luis