Comparable to Brookhouse iMux ST

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Markc38

Comparable to Brookhouse iMux ST

Post by Markc38 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:40 am

Hi, will this perform basically the same functions as the Brookhouse iMux ST?

Thank you

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Comparable to Brookhouse iMux ST

Post by Luis Sa » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:19 pm

Hello,

As far as I could understand by reading a description of the IMux St, I think that the IMux has one more Nmea183 input and has an additional RS232 input/output. I could not understand if its ST port is input and output. In the case of my multiplexer it is input only and if you use it you only get 3 Nmea183 inputs.

Best Regards Luis

Markc38

Post by Markc38 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:35 pm

Thanks, Luis. Sounds fine for my input needs.

Just a last check; I use a Raymarine X-5 autopilot - when using nmea4wifi with iNavx on my ipad, will I be able to send 0183 data to the X-5, so I can sail-to a way point?

Thanks, again.

Mark

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:10 am

Hello,

If the autopilot uses Nmea183, then it should be possible. But study the situation carefully.

Regards Luis

dagnall

Post by dagnall » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:17 pm

I have just ordered the 4 ch multiplexer because of this forum entry. Many thanks!
I had been looking for a replacement for an old brookhouse Imux, and the nmea4wifi seems an excellent replacement, removing the main limitation of my old brookhouse unit (that it could only attach to one wifi device ata time).

The Brookhouse st port is input only on my one and it does not multiplex any nmea data out on the seatalk port.
This was not a huge issue for me, but i have just noticed that the SPX-5 seems to multiplex its nmea input out to a seatalk conncted directly to the spx controller. This may offer a way to send 'stuff' to seatalk if there is data on nema you want repeated on seatalk.
For me, I need the nmea in on the autopilot to send waypoints etc to the autopilot from the single nmea4wifi nmea output. So I suppose the question is, :?: what data does the nmea4wifi copy from nmea and seatalk and send to the physical nmea out port, and what data do you hope to have on the seatalk that was originally nmea data?

I have ais transponder with gps, icom radio with gps, seatalk instruments, plus SPX-5 wheelpilot, and i use inavx on old ipad. So I will try to report how well everything works once i have installed it. Since I have two gps feeds one question may be about how to select which one is sent to the wifi port.

Im also hoping once its fitted that i can use a simultaneous connection to a windows 10 tablet running neptune navigator. This program only seems to have 'serial port' options for nmea data input, so I may be asking more questions later!

Any suggestions wil be gratefully received.

Dagnall

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:07 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your comments. I think that it is clear that the multiplexers (both the 2-input and the 4-input) can only receive (not transmit) SeaTalk1 datagrams. I have in these forum many reports showing what datagrams they convert to Nmea0183 sentences and how the conversion is done.

Regarding what you can have on the output wired port P5 may be the picture in this post illustrates better what is possible:

https://www.vela-navega.com/forum/viewt ... f=13&t=140

Regards, Luis