Nmea 4 and Garmin GPS Antenna

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Docfinance

Nmea 4 and Garmin GPS Antenna

Post by Docfinance » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:08 pm

Hi, I found out that my Garmin 19 x Hvs nmea 0183 antenna works only with input 1. 4800 Baud or higher. No signal detected with the other inputs. when i use a simple old gps mouse, all inputs are fine. Any idea what this could be? have newest firmware.
Thanks
Nick

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Nmea 4 and Garmin GPS Antenna

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:22 pm

Hello,

I have no idea. There are 2 dual channels opto-couplers ICs. One takes inputs 1 and 2. The other takes inputs 3 and 4. There is an hardware test that I describe in this forum to check the transmitter and the receivers. It is very strange. Using your short description of the problem I would probably look at the signal that your Garmin device produces with an oscilloscope. But unless the channel that supports input 2 has broken I see no reason why it does not to work on input 2 as you say it works on input 1.

Regards, Luis

Cormoran

Post by Cormoran » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:28 am

Did you set up the Baud rate correctly? I had before same problem, but after the Baud rate setting on bought, solved the problem...

From the users guide:

“ NotE: When connecting this antenna to a GPSMAP 2000, 3000, 4000, or 5000 series device, you must limit the update rate (see page 5). If the update rate is not limited, the chartplotter might not receive and display the GPS signal properly.”

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Hello,

Inputs are only read if they are needed. If, for example, input P2 is not set to go out to P5, UDP or TCP, it will not be read. This is another possibility for not seeing the green led blink when you connect a sensor that is active to P2 with the correct baud rate settings.

In a future revision, the acknowledge web page could report something like - input P2 inactive.

Regards Luis