Android and NMEA stream

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Claude

Android and NMEA stream

Post by Claude » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:15 pm

Recently I bought a NMEA4WIFI and had a lot of problem in using it on a Samsung TAB A tablet. My TAB A is under ANDROID 7.1.1. Finally I discover that only one app and only one can have access to the NMEA stream.

For example if you have used Navionic Boating HD and you want to use SeaWi you need to stop Boating. Stopping does not mean closing the window either by the central button or clicking on the crossbar of the window. When doing that the app still runs in the backdground. You can check that by looking at the upper left corner of the screen where the very small icon of the app is still there.

The only way to stop an app is to go in “Apps” menu of the "Parameter" window. One way to open this window is to open the notification window by scrolling done on the screen then click on the toothed wheel (Sorry for certain term I am french and don't know all the english term). This will open the “Parameter” window. In the window there is an App line. Click on it. This will open the "Apps" window. In the “Apps” window you look for the application you want to stop and click on its icon. In the upper right of the new window you click on the “Force Stop” button.

So to summarize:
  • Open the Parameter window
    Click on Apps line
    Click on the icon of the application to close
    Push the “Force Stop” button
On my TAB A I tested successfully the following apps with the NMEA4WIFI sets for UDP and running in simulation mode:
  • Navionic Boating
    SeaWi
    OpenCpn
    NavMonitor
    NKE
Note that for SeaWi and OpenCpn it is possible to use the GPS data coming from the NMEA stream

As I have also other equipment I tested successfully
  • PC/Windows 10
    • OpenCpn
    Ipad 2/IOS 9
    • iSailor (which can also use the NMEA GPS stream)
      Imray Boat Instrument
    Iphone
    • Boating
      LogBook NMEA
      NKE
Note that for IOS you can switch directly from an app to an other one.

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Android and NMEA stream

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:38 pm

Hello Claude,

Thank you for sharing this detailed explanation!

Regards, Luis