Imray Instruments

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
dagnall

Imray Instruments

Post by dagnall » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:35 am

I have discovered that Imray Instruments (Ver 2.50, SC Library version 3.0, INS Libray 1.2 ) does not accept the "simplified" DBT messages sent by Nmea4Wifi.
My message "$SDDBT,18.7,f,,,,*33" was rejected, and the Imray Instruments depth gauge sticks at "0".
However.. with the "Simulated data " "$IIDBT,13.1,f,04.0,M,02.2,F*26" the data is accepted and shows correctly.

The Imray App is the only app that I have found that does not accept the simplified DBT message, so I mention this to help anyone who is wondering why "simulation" works, but the real sensor does not!

I have told Imray (/Tucabo who wrote the app) about this, and they may update the app in the future, so this "issue" may go away. (hopefully!)..

Cheers

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Imray Instruments

Post by Luis Sa » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:54 pm

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your message. I had terrible problems in order to choose the right message for DEEP converted from SeaTalk1. Everything is written elsewhere in this forum and I must confess that I need to read all of that to know what is the exact sentence send with the present "official firmware".

If want me I can make a custom software that I can send to you but you should tell precisely what need to be done. I have time until the end of this month since on July 8th I hope to go sailing to Greece if the virus situation does not deteriorate.

Best Regards, Luis

dagnall

Post by dagnall » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:55 pm

Luis, just a quick update.
I got no response from Tubaco, but have today sent another report to Imray. It's possible that they may update to accept the short message format , but we will see.
I see that you will be spending time in Sept trying to sort out the strange Android cycling issue, but can I also ask that you consider a couple of other "update" possibilities.
  • First (and simplest)... can you modify the simulation file where it sends

Code: Select all

"$IIDBT,13.1,f,04.0,M,02.2,F*26" ,"$IIDBT,13.2,f,04.0,M,02.2,F*25" ,"$IIDBT,13.4,f,04.1,M,02.2,F*22" 
    so that you send

"$IIDBT,13.1,f,04.0,M,02.2,F*26"  plus a "f only version of  "$IIDBT,13.4,f,04.1,M,02.2,F*22" 
    --- With this simulation, most apps should then display the changing 4M, 4.1M depth as at present, but if the app can only read the full reading, it will display depth flickering between 4.0 and (either 0 or no change depending on how they "fail"). This should help track down the problem.
    You could use my recorded sample of

"$SDDBT,18.7,f,,,,*33"
    but it would be better to have one nearer 4.1M! I am sure you can work out the checksum for 13.4 f..
  • Second, it would be great if longer term you could add a switch to make the multiplexer do the maths and send the "full" DBT message in case there are other apps that cause similar issues. I know that this would add "maths", and may cause other issues, so I was thinking having it as an option might be the best solution?
I hope that your sailing has been less frustrating than mine. I had new sails ordered, but Covid plus unrelated medical issues at my Sail-maker meant that it was only this week that they arrived.. Just in time for the heavy storm force winds we have had in the UK..

All the very best

Dagnall

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:46 pm

Hello,

Thank you very much for your post. I will flight home on September 15 and then I will look to it very carefully. Sailing has been good. Meltemi was rare. Presently in Skopelos.

Regards, Luis

dagnall

Post by dagnall » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:18 pm

Glad your sailing has been good.
Imray have responded and apparently they have a new App developer. They say it may take a few days to get back to me, but at least this time I got a response!
I will keep you informed if anything interesting happens.
Dagnall

dagnall

Post by dagnall » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:39 pm

Luis,
Some results from testing this morning on the boat:
I have found that:
  • The "depth" being displayed is the same value (converted to feet) as my Seatalk instruments show in meters, but is being shown as "depth below transducer" on most apps.
  • I-regatta will display the seatalk "depth" if it is set to "feet".
  • Imray Instruments shows no "depth reading at all, even when switched to feet
  • Navionics was a surprise. When I went to menu and settings, it started showing the depth reading on the map, - in Meters- (!) .. - and I am using 192.168.4.1
  • Weather4d is complex and a bit strange- It has some very nice features so I was experimenting both on the boat and here at home. I was trying to check some results using "simulated NMEA4WIFI" (with my new bare ESP32 module) at home. -- I was trying to see the effect of switching to TCP or UDP, so was changing the NMEA4WIFI settings to see what "simulated" data was sent to TCP and UDP.
  • At this point my "home" (newly programmed!) NMEA4WIFI stopped working! :cry:
This module is now failing to properly re-flash. I can load the arduino sketch, It seems to accept the binary upload from the .exe, but then fails. I have also done the 192.168.4.1:82 upload and it also said success. But in both cases, after doing this "update", my Iphone can see NMEA4WIFI, it connects, and then promptly disconnects..
This looks perhaps like the issue people with some androids were having?
All I did was play with the serial ports settings..
is there perhaps a way to reset to factory defaults? or perhaps something to upload to the spiffs to "default" it?
Cheers..(I think!)
Dagnall