NMEA4WIFI - recovery from lockout

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: NMEA4WIFI - recovery from lockout

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:59 pm

Hello

I arrived in Greece last week where I have a NME4WIFI installed in my boat. In the boat I have my Windows 10 laptopt, my Redmi Note 8 Pro running Android 10 and my wife Samsung Note 10 running Android 10.

I could not get a stable connection on my Redmi. I followed what I suggested here in my previous posts. I got brief message "Authenthication" followed by "Connected, no internet" (both in blue) and 3 or 4 seconds after the messsage changed to gray "Can not connect to internet " and then repeating this again and again and again....

In both my laptop and my wife phone I could get a stable connection. I got Simulation data arriving to my OPenCPN in the laptop. So it looks like there is something that I had never observed,

What I did was set IP to static in my Redmi phone. I used 192.168.4.7 and for the gateway used 192.168.4.1. With that configuartion I got a stable connection on my Redmi. I know that something should be investigated but this could be a shorcut in the mean time. I will be full dedicated to the multiplexer by the end of September.

Regards, Luis

PETERULPH

Post by PETERULPH » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:48 pm

Hi Luis,
as per my last post, I am still getting WIFI connect issues in the AP mode using default SSID and password. The effect is apparent on PC and two IOS devices. Connection is either refused or takes minutes to connect. It appears to me that the NMEA4Wifi WIFI protocol has an issue. All my other devices have no issue connecting to any WIFI source I throw at them. The solution as always appears to be software reboots (multiple) or cold power reboots. Choosing to forget the network and re-enter the password helps, I expect to see the NO INTERNET flag, and that is normal. FYI I have never been able to use the EXTERNAL WIFI feature, this will consistently cause an immediate lockup. I have attempted to analyze the WIFI protocol but so far have not succeeded.
Any ideas as where we go from here....I am more than willing to experiment.

cheers
Peter

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:29 pm

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your feedback. I am not 100% available to address this issue but at least my new Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro can not get a DHCP (or if it gets it is disconnected after 2 or 3 seconds). So I have a replica of what seems to appear here. In my case it connects and disconnects with a period of some seconds. I can get access to the settings webpage (192.168.4.1) briefly but the connection falls and returns....

I wonder if you could confirm, in your case, if setting a static IP address the connection gets stable.

I will try go on googling for "stations can not connect to ESP32 SoftAP". I will try a minimal creation of an AP to see if my Redmi is capable of maintaining the connection.

I am sorry for this problem. It is more than one year and more than 100 units and I l only last week I found this problem.

Greetings from Lesvos, Luis

Kernel

Post by Kernel » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:44 am

After a quite long time I was able to do some tests.

During the tests I was using my Xiaomi Mi9T smartphone.
I reset the device to its default values to get a stable connection.
Then I updated the firmware to the latest version.

Same resulta again: with default settings (ssid and password for the AP mode) I was able to use the gateway and receive NMEA data on Navionics. As soon as I changed one single digit of the password or of SSID the phone started to disconnect every few seconds.

Setting a static IP on the phone did not work for me: It kept loosing connection every few seconds.

Best,
Roberto

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:32 am

Hello Roberto,

On my Android Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro, I was not able to use DHCP. I could with my wife Samsung Note 10. I had already written this earlier in this topic.

When I choose Static IP and use for example 192.168.4.2 I still have to switch off automatic WiFi management. See the following pictures.

Screenshot_2020-08-18-10-19-27-284_com.android.settings.jpg
Screenshot_2020-08-18-10-18-35-624_com.android.settings.jpg

I return home on September 15 and will look to this problem in more detail. Meanwhile you can return the multiplexer back to me and I will issue a payment refund.

Best Regards, Luis

Kernel

Post by Kernel » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:07 pm

Hi, Luis!
No refund needed at all! I'm glad you are working hard on this nice piece of electronics and I can survive with the default settings for now.

What really sounds weird is the fact that when I installed and configured everything last year, it worked perfectly.
Maybe I was using a Honor mobile phone. As soon as possible I'll do some more tests using different devices (Samsung Tab S3 and one more Xiaomi smartphone).

Enjoy Greece!