TCP Ports

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
dagnall

Re: TCP Ports

Post by dagnall » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:40 pm

Mike - Sorry no immediate answer- I had not tested my setup for 3Hrs!..I hope you were not on a long passage?

TCP should be OK if you can put up with a single link and do not need TCP on anything else.. I believe I am correct in saying that the multiplexer can only support a single TCP connection.
Its also supposed to be more reliable than UDP!

Dagnall

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: TCP Ports

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:30 am

Hello,

I am afraid not being familiar with virtual com ports. Thank you Dagnall for your help. Regarding the TCP connection it has the follow limitations:
  • only only client can be served by the multiplexer
  • if the multiplexer is set to receive and send data to a (single) client, then the client should also be set to send and receive.
Example: the client is OpenCPN and you set a TCP network connection to send (from OpenCPN to the multiplexer at 192.168,4.1). If the multiplexer is set to receive TCP, it is fine. However if the multiplexer is also set to transmit data, you should also set OpenCPN to receive data on the unique connection. If you don´t and if data is sent the multiplexer will not receive the acknowledgement (TCP works like that) and time outs (even resets can occur). I normally recommend to use TCP from one device to the multiplexer and use UDP from the multiplexer to up 4 devices. I hope I was clear.

Regards, Luis