Problem attempting to record from Nmea4wifi tool

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
mikeweston

Problem attempting to record from Nmea4wifi tool

Post by mikeweston » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:44 am

I am attempting to record a tcp stream from the N4W tool. The tool gets upset with the filename to record to. It errors if you change the filename - file does not exist. If the file does exist, I get an error - file already open... see attachment. I have tried starting with a brand new empty file, I have changed the .ini to point to a different file... no matter what, I get one of the two errors.

Ideas?
Attachments
Publication1.jpg

dagnall

Re: Problem attempting to record from Nmea4wifi tool

Post by dagnall » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:25 pm

Mike, this is not an "official" answer, and I am sure Luis will answer soon..
I am not sure where NMEA4WIFI has an option for "a filename to save the file to" in Debug mode? - Perhaps you could explain in a bit more detail about what you are doing? - The only options for saving files I can see are part of my webbrowser, and not NMEA4WIFI..

BUT- to be more helpful.. I have found that selecting the text as displayed and then copying it seems to work reliably.

You can then open a text file (or an email.. etc) and paste the NMEA capture into it. I have done this few times with my Iphone/IPad setup, since other approaches seem to get blocked by the way IOS works.

Best regards
Dagnall

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:44 am

Hello Mike,

When I released the NMEA4WIFI multiplexer I built a Windows programme that we could use to get the settings of the multiplexer, writing parameters to the multiplexer (setup), creation of filtering strings, ..., even OTA updating. Everything that you could do with that programme you can do using the "browser settings webpage". And since I frequently add features/improvements to the multiplexer I could brake some compatibility with the referred to "old" tool. For example, "Simulation Mode" and "Debug Mode" were additions which did not exist when the tool (NMEA4WIFI.EXE) was created.

If you want powerful debug you could use my tool Nmea0183Tester (version 2.3) that you can find elsewhere in this forum. Or you can use other tools available in the net.

Regards, Luis

mikeweston

Post by mikeweston » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:10 am

Luis and Dagnall,

Are you saying that the Windows tool Nmea4WiFi.exe is obsolete? I do not see where the browser window allows you to record incoming streams. In the program, after connecting, I click "Start Recording". The filename to record to is stored in the .ini file, or can be set on the Tools, Receiving page. This is where I run into file "in use by another process" error. I have determined the error results from Nmea4Wifi not actually shutting down when you exit. It stays resident for some period of time, keeping that file open.

If Nmea4Wifi.exe is obsolete, then I will certainly try Nmea0183Tester.

Thanks
Mike

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:12 am

Hello Mike,

I am not supporting that tool. Using Debug Mode you get in the browser window 30 seconds of incoming data. You can copy and paste that data into txt files.

For example see this video that I posted earlier today where I use the Nmes0183Tester tool to troubleshoot a problem

https://www.vela-navega.com/forum/viewt ... t=132#p762

Best Regards, Luis