Trouble receiving AIS data -> Nmea4Wifi with Matsutec HP33

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Paul

Trouble receiving AIS data -> Nmea4Wifi with Matsutec HP33

Post by Paul » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:03 pm

Hello,

great device! However, I am unable to receive the AIS data from Matsutec HP-33a ( Copycat of a Furuno GP 33). I have connected the Talker/Sender (Pin 3) with A1 and the Ground (Pin 5 ) with B1 and set the correct baud rate and NMEA type, but nothing is received ( neither via Wlan nor in the debug mode)

It's working fine to use the GPS position of the Matsutec HP-33a via an NMEA cable connection to the VHF, so I guess there is something sent.

Any advice is warmly welcome!

Kind regards,
Paul

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Trouble receiving AIS data -> Nmea4Wifi with Matsutec HP33

Post by Luis Sa » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:24 am

Hello,

Are you sure it is pin 3 from the Matsutec to A1? Is it not pin 4?

Regards, Luis

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:31 pm

Hello Luis,

thanks a lot for your reply! I tried every possible combination, but unfortunately nothing works. Any idea / strategy how to solve this?

Your device is working fine receiving other NMEA sources such as depth and wind sensor. But somehow it's not listening to the Matsutec...

Kind regards,
Paul

Marco1966

Post by Marco1966 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:53 pm

Hi Paul,
have You set the Matsutec correctly?
I don't know this Ais but I think it is necessary to set it correctly to have NMEA data output.
See section "I / O Setup Menu".
http://www.matsutec.cn/Down/HP-33A-Manual.pdf

Best Regards,

Marco

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:16 pm

Hello Paul,

I think I had already told you that I have one Matsutec AIS working with the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer in my boat. Please send me a photo of your multiplexer. And also a screenshot of your web settings page.

Remember - to troubleshoot use the minimal circuit. Never try to get it working with everything mounted at the first place. If you want to start troubleshooting the 1st thing is with multiplexer alone perform the hardware test. You will find videos. If that test succeed than recheck your AIS.

By the way - at your position are there AIS targets?

Keep asking here or by email. Sometimes I miss some posts in the forum.

Regards, Luis

Paul

Post by Paul » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:41 pm

Hi Luis and Marco,

many thanks for your reply! I have connect Pin 3 (green) with A1 and Pin 4 (blue) with A2 and Pin 5 as the common ground (brown/orange). Before I had just either Pin3 or Pin5 but to try to receive anything and try to test it i connected like them in this config. Does this make sense?

Than I have set the data type to AIS and the version to 2.3.

I am in the marina in San Sebastian /Gomera so there are plenty AIS targets around

Finally I set the baud rate in accordance to the manual to 38400 and 0 for no filtering

Unfortunatly there is nothing received. I did the hardware test with factory reseting and connecting P1 to P5 succesfully. I am able to read other NMEA0183 talker with the device succesfully. I am able to use the Matsutec as a GPS source for the VHF succesfully. Just the Matsutec somehow won't talk to the NMEA4Wifi.

What am I missing? Any advice?

Kind regards,
Paul

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:17 pm

Hello Paul,

Can you tell me exactly which is the model of your Matsutec device?

Regatas, Luis

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:25 pm

Hello again,

I see that you have a unit that has shows AIS targets. I thought you had told me before that you would be buying a different unit.

If the hardware test succeeded I strongly believe that your AIS is not transmitting. It is a pitty you cannot put a scope on the AIS output. I only have access to my Matsutec unit in my boat in May.

Can you explain how you set your AIS to transmit at 38400 baud?

Regards, Luis

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:50 am

Hello Paul,

I was reading the AIS manual. I made a confusion with another user that had the other Matsutec unit (one that has no display). Your AIS is exactly the same as mine. And it is a very good instrument. It is a pity that it is not with me now. It is in Greece where I keep my boat. But there is some thing wrong. You say:

I have connect Pin 3 (green) with A1 and Pin 4 (blue) with A2 and Pin 5 as the common ground (brown/orange). Before I had just either Pin3 or Pin5 but to try to receive anything and try to test it i connected like them in this config. Does this make sense?

This is wrong. You have only one output port. You also said that you were able to receive data from the AIS. What were the pins you used? Those pins are the ones you have to use to connect to the multiplexer. My only doubt is to know which is the pin that the HP33 uses to transmit data. I just found this site and now I am sure that you need to connect pin3 (Green) to A1 and pin5(Brown) to B1. Nothing more. If you need to connect the AIS to another instrument you use the same pins in parallel or you route P1 to P5 and use A5/B5 to connect to the other instrument. You must be sure that the AIS is sending at 38400. I do not remember where you can set but I am sure it can be set. I also leave here a recent email between me and another multiplexer user.

Good luck, Luis

Code: Select all

De : Luis Sá <luis@vela-navega.com>
Envoyé : mercredi 19 janvier 2022 23:00
À :XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Objet : Re: NMEA4WIFI Vs NMEA3WIFI

Hello XXXXXXX,

I will be giving giving some notes on the AIS. In October 2018 I removed my NASA AIS receiver and 
got an HP-33A receiver/transmitter AIS. It cost 330 euros. Now it costs 200 euros more.
This instrument is brilliant. I could configure it using its display and keys without needing
a computer. It came with a mushroom antenna. It has its own GPS receiver. It has one Nmea
0183 (or RS232) input/output port only. In your case you have 2 output ports.

I do not use waypoints or routes or the autopilot facilities. I choose baud rate 38400
which sends out the following mixed data at 38400

GGA GSA GSV VTG GLL RMC VDO and VDM

I connect 2 wires to port P1 of NMEA4WIFI (set to 38400) and I filter the stream of data to
accept only RMC VDO and VDM. The GPS data comes through RMC and its is very good as
I will explain later. I set P1>P5 with P5 also at 38400. From A5/B5 I have 2 wires that go to one
of the Nmea0183 input ports of my Raymarine chartplotter C90W (N2K or STNG but has 3
Nmea0183 input ports) which is mounted in the cockpit outside. I set the baud rate of the
Raymarine chartplotter input port to be 38400. The chartplotter has its own  internal
GPS receiver and we can set the ploter to to use its internal GPS
receiver or an external GPS receiver. I SET IT TO USE THE EXTERNAL GPS RECEIVER which is the
HP-33A receiver that comes to P1 and from P1 goes to P5 and from P5 goes to the C90W.

The reason why I set the chartplotter to use the Matsutec GPS data is because it gets a fix in
about 5 seconds. The Raymarine internal receiver takes about 2 or 3 minutes to get a fix. And
the Matsutec is installed inside the saloon. I think your HA-102 GPS receiver should be~
identical to mine HP-33A. Mine came with a mushroom antenna. I did not used this antenna.
By the way it is a RF antenna (not those antennas that send Nmea0183
data). In order to make a hole from the saloon to the exterior I bought those cheap booster
antennas that have a magnet to place on the roof of a car. It cost me about 5 euros. I had to get the  male
connector to match the female connector of the Matsutec GPS antenna. So I placed this
"magnet antenna" on the top of the metal case of my VHF radio and no holes and no c
cable routing to the external supplied antenna. And Yes! It gets a fix in about 5 seconds.

In your case I see a problem as you only have 2 Nmea0183 ports. P1 could be used for the AIS.Orange to
A1 and Brown to B1. Brown is the Signal Ground. Do not connect Black (pin2) to B1. You want to 
connect your Garmin chartplotter to P2. So you miss a 3rd port to receive GPS from the Matsutec. 
Unless you can configure your Matsutec to send AIS and GPS data on a single pair of wires 
(as in my unit). Maybe you could connect the GPS output port of the Matsutec
to your Garmin (can it receive Nmea data? Have you an available input port?)  and have
it to repeat that GPS data on the output port that you connect to P2. I am not sure
if that is possible.

Hope these notes can help you. Regards, Luis

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri May 27, 2022 8:04 pm

Hey Luis,

some time ago you mentioned you are back on your boat in May and might can give me further advice how to read the AIS data from the Matsutec. Any suggestion how to make it work?

Many Thanks!
Paul