Configure device with Signal k and Opencpn

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
MattC

Configure device with Signal k and Opencpn

Post by MattC » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:28 am

I bought the NMEAwifi 4 unit to link into my signal K server on a Raspberry Pi4. Signal K running OK.
I want to enter simulation mode and see if my pi can see the demo data.
Are there any 'idiot' guides to configure the units to talk to each other?
Any help would be appreciated as the multiplexer over wifi concept is brilliant and am keen to get it up and running soonest!
Cheers

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Configure device with Signal k and Opencpn

Post by Luis Sa » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:05 pm

Hello MattC,

Unfortunately I have no experience with Signal K. The Nmea4Wifi multiplexer works with Nmea0183 data. It can also receive SeaTalk1 data and convert it to Nmea0183 data. Then it can route data that arrives from wired serial inputs or from WiFi and sent that data to wired serial output or through WiFi. Operation with OpenCPN is straight forward. All information appears on the web page that the multiplexer presents to you when you type 192.168.4.1 on any browser. Please read it completely.

I am sorry for not providing more useful information.

Regards, Luis

dagnall

Post by dagnall » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:16 pm

MattC wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:28 am
I bought the NMEAwifi 4 unit to link into my signal K server on a Raspberry Pi4. Signal K running OK.
I want to enter simulation mode and see if my pi can see the demo data.
Are there any 'idiot' guides to configure the units to talk to each other?
Any help would be appreciated as the multiplexer over wifi concept is brilliant and am keen to get it up and running soonest!
Cheers
Matt,
I was discussing Signal K with Luis today and he mentioned this post.
I think that the simulation mode should help you with any testing. I use this a lot while developing code with Luis.
There is a short note about it https://www.vela-navega.com/index.php/simulator-mode
The key thing is to make sure (on your NMEA4) that you have P1>P5 activated, and also P2>P5 activated.
The Instrument simulations are on P1, and the AIS simulation is on P2, and these setting will then send both AIS and Instrument data "out" of P5, which should provide a feed for your SignalK server tests.
Equally you can use different multiplexer settings to send the simulation out on UDP or TCP to allow you to test any Wireless apps.

I hope this helps.
feel free to ask more questions, and best regards,
Dagnall

MattC

Post by MattC » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:07 pm

Hi Dagnall,
Many thanks for coming back to me on this - thank you for your comments, and will work through these settings to see how I can get both units linked. I was surprised that not much seems to be known about Signal K as I was led to believe it was the next big thing in Marine IT ! Cheers Matt

cougar

Post by cougar » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:17 pm

Hi Matt,

Late reaction, but I'm new here and I do have some experience regarding SignalK. Did you manage to get it connected? If you put the Nmea4Wifi in simulation mode it should output NMEA0183 data. All you need to do is register the Nmea4Wifi as an NMEA0183 data source in SignalK, using port TCP-port 2947.