AIS Tx signals

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Jonte67

AIS Tx signals

Post by Jonte67 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:57 pm

Hello!
Have struggled a while now with my cables from the AIS. Tried diffrent connections.
I manage it to work with orange Tx cable from AIS to the plotters blue Rx cable.
Plotters brown Tx to multiplexer A1 and bridge from GND to A2 and then from A5 (4800baud) to VHF
The "problem" now is that the multiplexer only gets the plotter GPS to the wifi and openCPN.
When i connect the orange to multiplexer il also recive AIS vessles in openCPN, witch is cool :)
Also what i belive important is that when the plotter give multiplexer the signal the DSC Distress wont work without the plotter.
My wish was to have AIS and VHF as a permanent system to work without the plotter.

If you look att attached picture of the cables. What cables do you belive/suspect will send Ais signals to multiplexer?
True Heading AIS.png
Garmin.png
Cobra VHF.png

dagnall

Re: AIS Tx signals

Post by dagnall » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:11 pm

Jonte.
Luis is away sailing, but the picture of the AIS looks very similar to the AIT 250 that I have. Since I recently did some adjustments to my own AIS wiring, I may perhaps be able to help.

I think your problem is that your Cobra VHF does not have inbuilt GPS, and so you wish to send the (Plotter)GPS to the VHF? (so the VHF DSC can send GPS location). But you also wish the AIS to be 'seen' by the Plotter and by OpenCpn (I presume via WiFi).

First, please note that all NMEA4 inputs are opto isolated, so for example to send data into port 1, you need to correctly connect the inputs to the the PAIR of contacts A1/B1. (see https://www.vela-navega.com/index.php/nmea-0183-ports).
Please note: I do not understand your comment "bridge from GND to A2" I hope this may be a mistyping?

To get GPS data to the VHF:
  • Your GPS data source is the Garmin Plotter GPS data output NMEA0183 (ut) (brown?) (object 2). (I assume this is 4800 baud?).
  • Your Cobra VHF needs 4800 baud GPS. (Yellow and Green).
  • You say connecting Yellow to A1 and Green to B1 gives you GPS data on NMEA4 port 1 (at 4800? )
  • You now need to send the GPS data to the VHF:
    • You can do this two ways:
    • You can use the NMEA4 P5 output to copy P1 data to P5 and connect P5 to the VHF. This will allow baud rate conversions, but IMHO this wastes the NMEA4 output!
    • A simpler way, if both baud rates are the same, is to connect directly. Most NMEA0183 outputs can drive two or more inputs. So you have the option to possibly simply connect this directly: If you connect Plotter (brown) to Cobra yellow and Cobra Green to ground, You should get the Plotter's GPS showing on the VHF directly.
To see AIS on both the plotter and Open CPN, you need to send the AIS to both 'receivers'.
NOTE: I am not aware of any Plotters that multiplex data inputs to their outputs. So I do not believe that the Plotter will send out any (received) AIS on its output.
  • You have said the plotter sees the AIS when you connect AIS orange Tx cable to the plotters blue Rx cable. This is good!
  • You now need to send AIS to OpenCpn!. So the NMEA4 Multiplexer must ALSO be sent the AIS data.
  • I would suggest AIS Orange to A2 , with Ground to B2 (baud rate 34800). This should (I hope) give you AIS data on port 2, so you can send it to UDP/TCP etc.

You say "Also what i belive important is that when the plotter give multiplexer the signal the DSC Distress wont work without the plotter." . Yes, this is correct. Because the GPS data comes from the Plotter you MUST have the Plotter connected for the VHF DSC to operate. It is possible to get the AIS to send GPS data - but this is more complex, and requires programming the AIS, and has other complications.

I do not think this setup actually needs the NMEA4 'output' if the GPS and VHF baud rates are both 4800. But please let me know if I have misunderstood the problem!

Cheers
Dagnall

Jonte67

Post by Jonte67 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:51 am

Hello Dagnall!

Thank you so much for response. I will read it carefully and try it. Some technical terms are hard somtimes lol.

What i meant by "bridge" was that i did read in an other thread to connect the B1 to common ground to get the nmea data -.
Yes. i wrote wrong there about B1. Saw that now

Jonte67

Post by Jonte67 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:48 pm

I made this very amateurish drawing how i connected.
Kopplingschema 1 plotter.png
The way above i use now. But like you wrote i dont have the AIS signals to the multiplexer to feed OpenCPN.
Kopplingschema 2 ais.png
The second connection i made got the AIS to multiplexer. My problem here is the baudrate. The Garmin plotter only have an overall setting for baudrate, NMEA high speed or low speed.
So if i toggle between them in settings the VHF works but not AIS and vice versa.

dagnall

Post by dagnall » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:45 am

Jonte.
Sorry for the delay..
To check I now understand:
  • The VHF can only take slow speed GPS data and cannot have separate input and output baud rates.-
  • SO you have to set the Plotter at "Slow" speed so that the Plotter's GPS data Output can be read by the VHF.
  • But the AIS is only high speed.
Please note that the Multiplexer WILL convert baud rates, so you CAN simply set the P5 baud to "slow", but still keep the AIS (and Plotter! ) I/O "fast".
I would suggest:
  • Keep the Plotter connected to P1 (but change the P1 baud to 38400)
  • Connect the AIS (38400) to P2. (not well drawn here by me !!)
  • Set P5 (to VHF) SLOW (4800)
This shows it very roughly..
modified...jpg
ASI to P2..

I think your settings should be:
P1 (38400) and P1>P5, P1>TCP,P1>UDP (will convert the FAST plotter GPS to SLOW speed for the P5 (VHF) connection
P2 (38400) and P2>TCP,P2>UDP

P5 (4800) (for VHF)

Best regards
Dagnall