Connect to External network

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
MattC

Connect to External network

Post by MattC » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:23 pm

Hi,
I am probably being stupid - so please feel free to highlight my ignorance!
I want to use Navionics Boating app on a tablet and connect this to the nmea4wifi.
And then connect various NMEA inputs to it to re-transmit over wifi around boat.
The unit is configured to connect to External and in the top right fields have included my router details - left the ip address as 0, so the router gives it an ip - from DHCP.
So, the question is... if I now connect to my NMEA4WIFI from another device- can I see see the internet and browse as normal? I was hoping you could, so I would just connect to the device and not have to change every time I wanted to view stuff online.
Can anyone just confirm this, and then I wont be wasting more time trying to work it out !
Thanks
Matt

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Connect to External network

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:16 pm

Hello,

If you choose the multiplexer to connect to an external network (say a router with internet connection) you can on smartphone (or else) connect to:

1) the Nmea4Wifi AP but you cannot link to the Internet or

2) the router and have access to the internet. In order to to access the multiplexer from the router network you write: http://nmea4wifi or http://192.168.1.32 (I assume that this is the IP the router gave to the multiplexer)

Note that:

3) If you know the DHCP range of IPs that your router P supplies you could choose one and use it as static. This important if you use TCP as you know to supply the IP of the multiplexer to the App that you want to communicate with.

I hope you can follow my post.

Regards, Luis

MattC

Re: Connect to External network

Post by MattC » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:54 pm

Hi Luis,
Thanks for clarifying this for me. All good !
Cheers
Matt