General Notes on Navigation Apps and their usage

This forum is for discussing hardware (electronics) and software design aspects of multiplexers in general.
dagnall

General Notes on Navigation Apps and their usage

Post by dagnall » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:13 pm

Autopilot Control
I will start by noting that there are very few apps (IOS at least) that will actually send out autopilot ('Pilot') commands to allow you to sail to waypoints:
We can perhaps modify this list if we get more data:

General point: To avoid sending lots or repetitive and duplicated "Pilot" data from a navigation program I recommend limiting sending of commands to APB and (BWR or BWC). APB because it will send in Magnetic or true as selected in the Navigation program. And BWR/BWC will then add Distance to waypoint data. RMB can be used in place of BWR/BWC, and will send both Magnetic and True bearings to waypoint. see also viewtopic.php?f=17&t=424&p=1744&hilit=APB#p1744
  • TzIBoat
    • This is only IOS program I know that can display Radar from the new Wifi Radars. It is quite complicated to get this setup with Radar where it needs the NMEAxWIFI to be set to external network. the program is being improved continuously. so now (summer 2023) it sends Autopilot commands just as well (or better?) than INavx.I have updated my on board Ipad and I have personally started using this as my main app. Note I recommend that you should set the PILOT settings to send (only) APB,BWR or BWC and RMC as this seems the best 'minimum set' of commands and should reduce bus congestion.
    • They have improved the affordability of charts (both vector and raster), and it has an excellent weather system (which does require internet).
  • InavX
    • What I used to use every time we take the boat out for a long sail. Arguably (was?) the best IOS app.. This WILL (easily) send autopilot commands when you set a "goto". It is reasonably easy to set up and use. You have to use TCP to get data sent to the NMEAxWIFI. (It will not send out autopilot messages on UDP.) Bad points: INavX has the annoying requirement that you must manually switch on the connection when you open the app. But apart from that, the connection is reliable and the ergonomics of the app are good. (but charts are expensive!) My IPAD version is quite old, as the latest version will not run on my old Ipad (IOS 9.3.6)
  • MID WiFI
    • An interesting IOS app. It is mainly for displaying instrument data and has lots of screen. It includes a (openseachart) map screen that allows setting a waypoint and goto then it sends out $GPRMB commands via TCP. It also has Autopilot standby and auto controls and +- 1 and +-10 course correction commands that send $PSMDST messages for conversion in suitable wifi bridges (Like NMEA3!) to Seatalk. I find the Mid WIFI interface response a bit erratic. But updates to IOS/ the app seem to now work. and I have had it running on my IWatch, so can adjust the (Raymarine) Autopilot from my watch when the app is running (either in background or foreground).
  • navCenter
    • A new (2022) app with multiple, editable pages to display NMEA information from instruments in multiple formats. Arguably better displays and ergonomics than Mid Wifi, and with a responsive developer. Like mid Wifi, this app includes (Raymarine) Autopilot controls to set standby / auto modes and to adjust heading by +1-1/ +10,-10, but also displays feedback as to the current set heading and autopilot state. A matching watch app is now running nicely. New features and improvements are being added very frequently.
  • QTVLM
    • A very comprehensive program with versions for IOS, and Windows. the free IOS version will not send navigation commands, but I think the full version will. I have the Windows version on a PC and it is very good. Well worth looking at. Very comprehensive connection settings. With PC version I have tested and it sends autopilot out with both TCP and UDP.
  • Weather4D Navigation
    • A very interesting program for weather exploration and interesting auto routings, well worth having just for that, but it can also send out autopilot data (TCP), it has a very comprehensive set of NMEA in and Out settings, a bit like QTVLM.
Other navigation programs that I keep on my Iphone and Ipad:
  • IMRAY : Navigator, Tides planner and Instruments. All work well with NMEAxWIFI (UDP) to show instrument data and AIS. VERY nice raster charts. Worth the cost in my opinion.
  • Navionics Boating.
    • Shows position, depth (if available and has checksum!!) and AIS.
    • Some "fun features" like routing. BUT does NOT send "route to waypoint data" so cannot be used to send data to an autopilot.
    • NOTE The Navionics App needs the address set to 0.0.0.0 if you use UDP.
    • A small thing I find is that Navionics on my Ipad will not "forget device" if the wifi is connected to the NMEAxWifi. The answer of course is simple: Switch off the NMEAxWIFI and then restart navionics and "forget device".
  • Boat Beacon: shows position and AIS

Dagnall