Which is the most resistant in intensive use : Nmea3 in TH or SMD or Nmea4

Discussion and support for the Nmea3Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer with a full bidirectional SeaTalk1 input/output port.
Patrick

Which is the most resistant in intensive use : Nmea3 in TH or SMD or Nmea4

Post by Patrick » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:53 am

hello, I want to connect my AIS Camino 108 with a Nmea3 or Nmea4 wifi multiplexer. I had a Replicator wifi repeater from Tecknospark which stopped working after 1 year. I think the case is too small and the circuitry got too hot in continuous use. Which is the most resistant in intensive use: Nmea3 in TH or SMD box? or Nmea4 which has a larger box so with better ventilation? Thanks for your help.

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Which is the most resistant in intensive use : Nmea3 in TH or SMD or Nmea4

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:57 pm

Hi,

May be SMD. The power supply is a bit mote powerful. And keep the top lid off. It is not water proof. In my boat I use a Nmea4Wifi for almost 3 years. It is TH as in that time I only had THs. I am getting too old to build THs. They took me too much time to build and to test. I may increase their price or even only offer the KIT version (= TH mounted by the buyer).

Thanks for your message. Regards, Luis

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:06 am

Thanks for your help. what type of connection do you recommend with the Camino108? RS232 or RS422 (see attached file).

https://ibb.co/tzc1BfB

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:07 pm

Hello,

Not RS232. I am not familiar with your AIS unit. I assume that you only want the AIS to be a talker to the multiplexer listener. So you only need to connect:
  • AIS TX+ (jaune) to A1(orA2) NMEA3WIFI
  • AIS TX- (vert) to B1(orB2) NMEA3WIFI
and if you choose P1 as the input port (A1 and B1 above) you could check the box P1>UDP (meaning data arriving at P1 should go out by UDP wifi), set UDP port number to (for example) 2000 and P1 baud rate to 38400 (I assume that the AIS transmits data at that baude rate).

Regards, Luis