WiFi auto disable when no connection question

Discussion and support for the Nmea3Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer with a full bidirectional SeaTalk1 input/output port.
BertW

WiFi auto disable when no connection question

Post by BertW » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:44 pm

If I recall correctly from reading the manual, the NMEA3Wifi turns off WiFi after a couple of minutes of no activity. I understand this to be a battery saving feature.

Is there a way to disable that feature in the settings? I find myself having to reboot the NMEA3Wifi unit because it shuts down WiFi.

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: WiFi auto disable when no connection question

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:34 am

Hello,

You are not recalling correctly. It does not shut down if there there is no activity. It only shuts down if the settings do not forsee any activity. In order not to shut down set one WiFi port (for example UDP = 2000 even if you do not need UDP). Then set for example P1>UDP even if nothing is connected to P1.

If you get WiFi off with the setting above than there is a bug. Please also clarify how you detect that the Nmea3wifi shuts down? You do not see the NMEA3WIFI network? You are connected to this network and you are disconnected? You are connected to an external network and you are disconnected?

Regards, Luis

BertW

Post by BertW » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:41 pm

Okay, I'll try to document what happens better.
I use a router as part of my setup. Let me double check some settings.

BertW

Post by BertW » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:37 pm

Hello again,

I finally had some time to dig into my issues.

As far as I can tell, the problem is between NMEA3WIFI and my router GL-MT300N-V2.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073T ... UTF8&psc=1

The NMEA3WIFI will not stay active on the LAN. It shows up, obtains an IP, but disappears and shows as not connected. I have upgraded to the latest firmware on both devices. I have tried static IP and DHCP reserved IP.

However, the NMEA3WIFI AP stays up. Also, switching to UDP has made things more stable when using that AP.

After two days of troubleshooting, I'm hoping simply changing to a different WIFI router is the quickest solution. I'm looking for recommendations for a USB or 12V powered router that can work with or without internet hotspot or USB tether. Ethernet WAN port is nice, but not a requirement. The GL-MT300N-V2 would be fine, if it could hold the connection to the NMEA3WIFI.

BertW

Post by BertW » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:00 pm

Not sure if this is the same chip that NMEA3WIFI uses, but it sounds similar to my problems:

https://www.esp32.com/viewtopic.php?t=25257

BertW

Post by BertW » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:08 pm

Hmm, so my ancient Netgear WRT3500 router maintains the connection. It doesn't have the ability to tether to a phone, and is probably a relative energy hog (12W). It does run on 12V, at least. I am able to use the gl.inet as internet and plug it into the Netgear via the WAN port and actually have internet and have navigation instruments as well as access to the NEMEA3WIFI web page, but this is not good long term solution.
Last edited by BertW on Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BertW

Post by BertW » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:30 pm

Changing channel to 9 from 1, and switching to n/g, rather than n/g/b wireless mode appears to have solved the issue of the nemea3wifi not staying on the network.

This is certainly a hinky router. Now the NEMEA3WIFI stays on the network, but I can't bring up the page or connect from Navionics. I'm going to check the internal firewall, but I have never seen a consumer router that blocks traffic by default on the same subnet.

BertW

Post by BertW » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:51 am

So I have, at least for the moment, abandoned the idea of having a dedicated boat router. I'm just letting the phone be the hotspot/router. It works well enough for now.

I do think there would be a benefit to have dedicated router with the ability to connect to whatever internet source is suitable depending where in the world you are. We're day sailors for now, so no big deal.