NASA GPS repeater driven from raymarine c80

Discussion and support for the Nmea3Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer with a full bidirectional SeaTalk1 input/output port.
macalla

NASA GPS repeater driven from raymarine c80

Post by macalla » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:07 pm

Dear all,

If any body has any experience with this combination , let me know ?

What we see is that on some waypoints it works fine and then on others it says "cannot get rnb" and would not see the track ### displayed.

I am using the nmea3wifi to repeat the NMEA stream from the c80 (38400) to the clipper GPS repeater(4800).

I have tried unfiltered, and filtered with 1-A-GSA-RMB-RMC

I can see the messages on the Nmea tester tool but not always in pairs of RMB and RMC.

Instead I see sometimes a more random sequence of

RMC....
RMC...
RMB...
RMC ...
RMB ..
RMC
RMC
RMB.

So a majority of RMC messsages vs RMB messages and I do not think the Clipper display likes that - I am talking with NASA seperately to find out more.

I forgot to take a raw dump (the nmea wifi tester tool is very handy !) of no filtered and perhaps a straight dump from the C80 at 4800 to see what it produces .

But last week, I ran with no filtering and the result is the same so I do not think my filter makes it worse or better.

I may need to write my own NMEA filter to handle the clipper - I will post a seperate message for that.

All the best

Boris

macalla

Re: NASA GPS repeater driven from raymarine c80

Post by macalla » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:38 pm

Update:

We were out today ,and the system behaved perfectly.

It could be that our problem is a Raymarine gps antenna being low I. Battery so the locking to the satellites is slow sometimes as the default constellation does not always work.

I will keep an eye on it, but today all working flawlessly, no issues.

I did implement filtered output via nmea3wifi so I only let GSA,RMB and RMC message through.

The c80 does not send GSA but that does not affect the gps repeater,as GSA only has satellite quality.

All the best

Boris