NMEA3WiFi KIT (finally) successfully assembled :)

This is a dedicated space for users of Vela-Navega multiplexers to share their experiences, write reviews, provide ratings, and share your satisfaction or dissatisfaction with the multiplexers.
loic

NMEA3WiFi KIT (finally) successfully assembled :)

Post by loic » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:29 pm

Hi there !

I just finished to build the NMEA3Wifi Kit I received this morning. It was not so easy though, but everything is alright thanks to all the help i could get from this forum.
Here's what happened, I had some trouble with the ESP32. It was broadcasting a SSID "ESP_XXXX" with no password, and impossible to get any webpage to perform any update, I assumed it was not normal so i tried to start from blank.
I found info right here on how to erase and flash a blank ESP32.
Here the trouble began. Impossible for the ESP32 to be recognized by my PC. On another PC neither. Didn't had more chance with my macbook and Arduino IDE. After having searched the whole house for USB micro cables to see if it was a "data vs power" cable issue, but impossible to get a COM port in the device manager. I found somewhere here also some info about CH340 driver. Of course, a driver. So I tried to install those drivers on all the computers i had (Windows 7, Windows 10, macOS12...) and still nothing.
Finally, the solution was maybe too dumb to be documented. Installing the driver wasn't enough, I had to "manually" apply the correct driver for the device in the device manager (Serial Usb>Driver>Select a driver from the computer>CH340>install...) maybe it's classical but i don't use Windows too much anymore so i didn't know that and didn't found too much info about that. Don't even know how I figure it out but anyway, i'm glad it worked.
Once the COM port appeared, i coud flash the device, and everything worked before i had the time to drink a coffee.

Everything works like a charm now. I tried with the simulator, and I also tried the "loop" test, everything is good, i can't wait to install it on my boat :)

Anyway, thank you so much for making this device, and for providing all that infos on this forum !
Thanks also for the fast delivery !

Cheers,

Loïc.

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: NMEA3WiFi KIT (finally) successfully assembled :)

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:49 am

Hello Loic,

Thank you for your review. I have decided to flash the ESP32 modules that I include in the kits to avoid what you describe. Still if you want to use the USB port as an input or output of the multiplexer you need to install the CH340 driver.

Regards, Luis