Iphone connection problem

Discussion and support for the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Juanvi

Iphone connection problem

Post by Juanvi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:40 pm

Good afternoon Luis, I need the NMEA module to connect to the internet, I want to connect it to my Iphone XR sharing the WIFI connection of the Iphone, but I am not able to do it.

I enter the EXTERNAL NETWORK section, the SSID and the PASSWORD and I do not get internet.

I would really appreciate your help

regards

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Iphone connection problem

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:23 pm

Hello,

Unfortunately I do not use apple smartphones so my help is limited. Also note that in 95% of the cases the multiplexer is used by creating it's only AP.

Having said that, it can connect to an existing network. I normally connect it to my home network and I specify an IP that I know it is not used (instead of using DHCP). As in my home I know that my router does not attribute (by DHCP) ips above 192.168.1.30, then I use a fixed 192.168.1.31. Then I connect to the multiplexer using that IP. And I can connect to the internet with the other devices on my home network as I can receive nmea0183 data on them.

Hope that is useful. Regards Luis

dagnall

Re: Iphone connection problem

Post by dagnall » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:52 am

Juan.
I use iPhone and IPad and may be able to help.
Do you get this message on the Web browser interface when you try to enter the Personal Hotspot name for your Phone?

Code: Select all

***** ERROR *****
#3 - Invalid External SSID!
- That would indicate that your SSID was too long- There is a 16 character limit in NMEAxWIFI.

I would also note that you should try to ensure that your Iphone Hotspot SSID uses only letters and numbers. There are some strange things that can happen if you use some punctuations in the SSID, so avoid them!.
space - _ . seem to work, but ' , and most of the others seem to give very strange results.
Password should not have a space either!

Also (last-) you need to work with whatever IP address the Hotspot gives you. You cannot use the NMEAxWIFI "External Network IP box" to define the IP. I believe that the Iphones are not clever enough to work with forced IP addresses.

Cheers
Dagnall