Navionics boating app for autopilot control

Discussion and support for the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
dagnall

Re: Navionics boating app for autopilot control

Post by dagnall » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:16 pm

Alfredrive..

With the NMEA2, if you can connect your Raymarine Autopilot NMEA input to the NMEA2 "output" (A3/B3) then you should be able to route GOTO waypoint commands from a suitable navigation app.
Use TCP>P3 to route from TCP to the P3 output of a NMEA2.

UNFORTUNATELY, The Navionics app itself does NOT send suitable goto commands, but other apps can, and do. (see my earlier post).

Another way to send commands is to use Seatalk, but that requires a NMEA3! as this is the only NMEAx unit that can "SEND" seatalk. all the others can only receive Seatalk.

BertW

Post by BertW » Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:44 pm

Yes, Raymarine Autopilot NMEA input will take GoTo commands to a waypoint, but can not handle the more proprietary Raymarine pilot commands like Auto, Stand By, +/- 1 or 10 degrees.

BertW

Post by BertW » Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:50 pm

Tz IBoat
I included TZIBOAT originally because it was the only program I know that can display Radar from the new Wifi Radars. It is quite complicated to get this setup with Radar where it needs the NMEAxWIFI to be set to external network. When I originally compiled this list (summer 2021) it would not send out autopilot data. But (summer 2023) it now sends Autopilot commands just as well (or better?) than INavx. I have updated my on board Ipad and I have personally started using this as my main app. They have affordable charts (both vector and raster), and an excellent weather system (which does require internet). (Essential if you are lucky enough to have a WiFI Radar!.)
Oh cool, I will have to take another look at TZ iBoat. I was already intrigued by the radar support. I wonder if there will emerge a standard for WIFI radars...? I know OpenCPN can even get legacy radars working with the right hardware.

I have iNavX, but it feels clunky to me. I want the simplicity of Navionics with Auto Pilot and ideally Radar. It sounds like TZ iBoat is the first to get there. :)

hdmanillac

Post by hdmanillac » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:17 pm

As for me, I have never managed to get my Raymarine ST1000+ autopilot to work in NMEA0183 mode. I tried everything but nothing worked.
On the other hand, it works very well in Seatalk1.
I specify that I use a NMEA3WIFI and qtvlm.
I must also say that remote control of the AP from a smartphone via NMEA3WIFI is a real joy!

cougar

Post by cougar » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:25 pm

You cannot get autopilot control from the Navionics Boating app. If you want Navionics charts and autopilot control you need a full blown chart plotter with Navionics Gold or Platinum. My suggestion would be to migrate from Navionics Boating to OpenCPN.