No WiFi

Discussion and support for the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
jbonde

No WiFi

Post by jbonde » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:29 pm

After connecting the NMEA2WIFI to my ST1 network the WiFi disappeared. It worked fine when testing at home, but after installing in the yacht it is not possible to see the SSID from my laptop. I can see the green LED flashing - probably a reaction to the ST1 input.
I removed the Wimos board and connected it to the laptop via USB, then installed the Flash tool and flashed the 6.3 firmware which went well. But still no SSID visible. I also tried to connect the board to a standard PSU without luck. I can see the blue LED's blinking fast for a while after powering but that's all.
Any ideas to get the WiFi back again or do you think it is broken?

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: No WiFi

Post by Luis Sa » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:33 pm

Hello,

I can not find a reason for the multiplexer to be alive (since you say the green led flashes in response to ST1) and not create the AP. Does the LEDs respond as expected to a Reset (pressing and holding the SW1 switch)?

If you remove the Esp module from the socket and power it up with an USB cable, do you see the AP (access point)?

Regards, Luis

jbonde

Post by jbonde » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:42 am

What should I expect when pressing the SW1? I can't find any explanation in your documentation.
As for using the Esp only there is still no AP visible.
Regards Jesper

jbonde

Post by jbonde » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:23 pm

Did some tests with the Esp at home without the multiplexer board. The Esp works fine for all uploads done via the Arduino IDE over USB and the examples (blink, WiFiAccesPoint etc) works as described. The OTA_BLINK script also works well and creates a stable AP I can login to and access the 192.168.4.1:82\update page. But after uploading one of the binary files (tried everything from 30-63) with OTA the trouble begins. I can see the AP but login doesn't work any longer. If uploading the OTA_BLINK blink again via USB everything works fine so to me it looks like there is some kind of conflict created by the binary. Or is the multiplexer board necessary to make this part work?
I notice the 192.168.4.1:82\update page has possibility of updating the file system as well. Could this be the key to the error and where do I find a file to upload here in order to see if it has an effect on login?
And is there any way I can change the WiFi channel so the Esp can be undisturbed by other AP's?

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:36 pm

Hello,

So you tried the OTA_BLINK. And it blinks and creates the AP. And you can upload (version 6.3 only) by writing 192.168.4.1:82\update in the browser navigation bar. It will present you a simple web page for you to point to the location of the 63 bin file. And you will see the % of uploaded size to increase as soon as you press upload. And when it gets to 100% a SUCCESS message appears.

Then with the module still powered by the USB cable you press the module reset button (or disconnecting and connect again the USB cable) the AP appears with 63 web interface.

This is what should happen. I use Arduino 1.8.10 IDE. And a W10 laptop. I can send you tomorrow a Wemos d1 mini already flashed. I ask you return the old one, at your convenience, to me so that I can check what is the problem.

I am writing this at my smartphone. I will go to my laptop and will check once what I have just written.

Regards Luis

PS - I am now writing from my PC and I have just checked the procedure above. I post a picture with the Arduino settings. Note the No SPIFFS. The source (or ino) file OTA_BLINK_TEST is just the same as the one called OTA_BLINK that you find at the end of this post. Note that I am compiling and flashing directly from the Arduino IDE the file named OTA_BLINK_TEST.ino

OTA-TEST-BLINK.gif

jbonde

Post by jbonde » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:35 am

Hi Luis
This is exactly the procedure I have executed on my W10 PC - however I do not have the 'No SPIFFS' option when selecting the same board as in your screen dump. I just repeated on my W7 laptop with the same result: no possibility of connecting to the AP after the firmware has been uploaded.
So maybe a good idea to swap boards and see if it helps.
Thanks for your support!

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:41 am

Hello,

Before I send you a flashed unit, it is essential that you specify No SPIFFS. With OTA you need the maximum memory. One for the existing firmware and another space of memory for the firmware that you are uploading. If the upload success the controller switches from a memory location to the other. That was the reason I posted those picture. See the board name and the options. Only the COM port could be different in your case.

I will postpone the shipping until I get feedback from you.

Regards, Luis

jbonde

Post by jbonde » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:33 pm

That makes sense and the memory mapping perfectly explains what I have been experiencing. I don't know what caused the error as the unit worked fine when I received it. Maybe the flash was damaged during installation in the boat?
Anyway I have fine contact with the AP now after flashing 6.3. However the 'No SPIFFS' option is still not available even after trying out the different Esp versions provided in the board manager (currently ver 2.7.1). I have now selected the 'FS:1MB and OTA:~1019KB' option which apparently leaves enough space for file system and binary.
Will reinstall the Esp in the boat one of the coming days and see if it works with the multiplexer board as well. Will post an update then with a new status.

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:03 pm

Hello,

As soon you flashed the 63 you test it right away. For example set simulation mode.

Regards Luís

jbonde

Post by jbonde » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:56 pm

Simulation mode works fine and your greek data are well received over UDP :-)