Can I use an NMEA2WIFI for something custom ?

Discussion and support for the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
macalla

Can I use an NMEA2WIFI for something custom ?

Post by macalla » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:12 pm

Dear all,

This is probably a question for Luis -

I may need to write a NMEA filter to interface to an instrument which may need to produce a specific pattern.

So Uart In -> Process -> Uart Out.

It occurred to me that I could do this on a Expressif board and I saw Adafruit have some - not expensive.

But then it occurred to me - if I could load my binary (with WIFI OTA) into an NMEA2WIFI , that already has all the peripherals and regulators and screw terminals that I would need and as it happens I have a spare NMEA2WIFI from last year before I added AIS.

So if it is possible to re-purpose an NMEA2WIFI I would be very interested - I have seen the Arduino builder etc and I used to program micro-controllers in C before I moved to VHDL

Or if there is another board which would work - I am looking at the ADA Fruit feather board , if I cannot use the NMEA2WIFI board.

All the best

Boris.

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Can I use an NMEA2WIFI for something custom ?

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:45 pm

Hello Boris,

I see no problem. You have the schematics. I do not understand why you need to use OTA. You could just flash your binary using the serial port and Arduino.

Regards, Luis

macalla

Post by macalla » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:12 pm

Many thanks - I will study those and thank you for making all that available.

I wasnt sure if Arduino would work but that would be perfect for my needs.

(The OTA update would be a bonus - I was thinking if I need to change things on the boat I could do so "wireless") -

But what you suggest is simpler and therefore probably better so I will try your serial line method.

Can I reflash the NMEA2WIFI Binary if needed or will it remain custom for ever once I change it to my simple binary ? Not a big deal , just curious.

Aside - I think I need to construct a GPRMB message from the RayMarine ECRMB message - so I was hoping I could use the nice NMEA2WIFI platform for that as my Winter Project.

Best regards and thanks for the confirmation !

All the best !

b.

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:12 pm

Hello Boris,

If you flash with a custom binary and want to return to nmea2wifi you the same problem as if you need to change the ESP32 module in a TH unit. There is a small OTA program in the forum that you can flash the "destroyed" EEPROM and then you can do a OTA flash of the nmea2wifi binary.

If you need more information write me.

Regards, Luis