Nmea2Wifi connected to B&G Vulcan 7 FS

Discussion and support for the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Svante

Nmea2Wifi connected to B&G Vulcan 7 FS

Post by Svante » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:12 pm

Hello Luis...

and thank you for a great product with a great price. :-)

I cant seem to make it function with my new B&G Vulcan 7 FS. Is there anyone that has the same setup as i and could bring light to the matter?

I have the Nmea2Wifi set to AP and my Vulcan can connect to its wifi but it wont see the AIS-stream. Maybe it has to do with the NMEA0183. The port is set to the right one on both devices.

Best Regards
/Svante

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: Nmea2Wifi connected to B&G Vulcan 7 FS

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:43 am

Hello,

Thank you for your kind comment. I tried to read the manual for your B&G chartplotter and it looks like it is a Nmea2000 only device. I assume that you have an AIS receiver and that you connect it to the P2 input of the multiplexer and that you can see AIS targets on a smartphone or tablet app.

I hope someone is capable of providing more information.

Regards, Luis

Svante

Post by Svante » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:42 pm

Hello again.

Do you have any tip for a mobileapp for testing. The red diod on the NMEA2WIFI blink så it seems to work but i dont really know. ;-)

Also i cant connect with my laptop with windows 10 to the NMEA2WIFI AP. Same thing on the B&G. It seems it never goes further than "connecting".

My mobilephone connect fine to the NMEA2WIFI.
But the B&G and the laptop cant connect.

The laptop connects just fine to any other wifi AP expect NMEA2WIFI.
My B&G connect just fine in the same way.
They also connects ok to my mobile as a hotspot. It says "connected" and work just fine.

Is there any additional trix that i can try?

Best Regards
/Svante

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:24 am

Hello Svante,

If you see the red led blinking then AIS data sentences are arriving and are correctly taken by the multiplexer.

As per my previous email I do not think you will be able to see AIS targets on your chartplotter through the multiplexer. But note that I do not have any experience with the B&G Vulcan chartplotter. I say this because the AIS data that arrives to the multiplexer is clearly Nmea183 (the red led blinks) and your chartplotter is a Nmea2000 only device (as far as I could understand).

Now if you can see and connect to the NMEA2WIFI AP using a mobile device (I assume that you have done that to setup the multiplexer) you should be able to connect using a laptop running Windows 10 or else. I suggested in the previous post to switch off the automatic connections that your laptop may have in memory. It could be the case that it connects to the NMEA2WIFI AP and noting that there is no Internet link through this AP it will look for any other AP in range until it gets Internet.

I am sorry for the problems you are experiencing and for my poor help.

Kind Regards, Luis (in Serifos Island, Greece)

Svante

Post by Svante » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:01 pm

First of all, the NMEA2WIFI device work as intended, no doubt there.

The B&G accepts NMEA0183 over wifi after a software upgrade (firmware). It may not show in the dokumentation.

I changed the driver for the wifi network card to a more forgiving one on my computer and... Voala, now it works. ;-)
I think some devices have a little problem to accept the NMEA2WIFI device network settings.

Ok, now to the B&G and some more fiddeling with settings… :-)

/Svante

Labanius

Post by Labanius » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:52 am

Hi, did you get it to work.
I have The same setup and have no luck geting it work.
/Dan

Svante

Post by Svante » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:04 pm

No, i didn´t.
I´v given up on that...
Has to go thru NMEA-2000 converter.

Luis... I get gps signal from the Vulcan 7 to my mobile devices with out any problem.
But why can´t i run that wifi-signal thru the NMEA2WIFi-device and pass it on via port 3 to my Furuno RO4800 VHF?

The NMEA2WIFI is updated with the latest firmware.
It´s a bit unstable i think.

Best Regards.
/Svante