How to connect Nmea2Wifi

Discussion and support for the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Heilo

How to connect Nmea2Wifi

Post by Heilo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:54 am

I have bought and built the Nmea2Wifi. Firmware 5.6 installed. I have connected P1-P2-P3 together and ran the BIT successfully. However, I have not been able to communicate with my PC, either through USB/serial ports nor Wifi.
I have tried different setups with different USB to serial adapters. Also tried different software ie Packet Sender and Serial Port Utility. Can You suggest a setup to test serial and wifi with my computer ? Ultimately, the purpose for buying the multiplexer is to connect it to my Raymarine E120 Classic and GPS (I believe RS125). I want GPS signals to my Iphone/Ipad/Computer and to send waypoints/routes the other way. How should I connect this together ?

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Re: How to connect Nmea2Wifi

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:28 am

Hello,

So you tested the input/output hardware. Now there are so many things I could ask. The basic one - can you get the Settings Web Page using a browser to get 192.168.4.1? About your description - you can not communicate with a PC though the USB port (the USB connector on the ESP8266 module). To do that you need an USB to TTL serial cable. The USB end will go to your computer. 2 wires go to P1 (or P2) and other 2 wires go to P3 (to receive data). Note that an USB to serial cable has 4 wires at the serial end. In order to test the wifi communication with your PC you could use Packet Sender. I used it sometimes ago. Recently I am using OpenCPN (great to test the wifi and serial connections) or my Nmea4Wifi.exe programme. It can be used with the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer in case you want to test the multiplexer. But there so many possibilities of how you are testing it that is very difficult for me to comment. Please be more specific.

Regarding your final setup, I need to check the descriptions of your instruments to give you any suggestion. Which app you will you be using in your Ipad?

Regards, Luis

Heilo

Post by Heilo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:14 am

Hi
Now I have connected my Raymarine E120 Classic to the NMEA2WIFI via the NMEA0183 port (Yellow to A1 and Brown to B1).
As shown in the attachment, it appears like I am receiving data from E120 to OpenCPN.
However, I have tried different software/apps, but it does not seem like I am able to send data to the E120.
It look like OpenCPN is sending messages, but I never see Rx messages on the Port1:Buffer page on the E120.
I have connected White to A3 and Green to B3. Is this correct or should Green go to GND ?

Any other ideas on what could be wrong ?
BTW the hardwaretest runs fine.
Screenshot from OpenCpn.docx
Screenshots
(560.77 KiB) Downloaded 836 times
E120.pdf
E120 screenshot
(392.27 KiB) Downloaded 843 times

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:47 am

Hello,

At this moment I am not able to see the docx page as I need to open it in my computer which I will be doing later on.

I do not understand the picture of the chartplotter display. It looks like received messages. But you say that the problem is in the multiplexer to chartplotter direction. I would use GND instead of B3. Take a look to the html description of the Nmea4wifi multiplexer which refers to nmea connections in detail.

I assume your PC connects to the multiplexer by wifi. It would be helpful if you send me a screenshot of the multiplexer settings Web page. If data received by wifi is being sent out by P3, you should see the blue led on the Wemos to blink. If it blinks and does not arrive to the chartplotter then check baud rates.

Regards, Luis

Heilo

Post by Heilo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:54 pm

Hello
Here is my current multiplexer setup (I have tried both TCP and UDP with same result):
multiplexer_setup.PNG
Mulitplexer setup
And here is OpenCPN setup and log:
setup OpenCPN.PNG
OpenCPN setup
As long as the E120 is connected the green light is blinking (stops blinking when A1 is disconnected). I also have a blue light blinking as long as OpenCPN is transmitting. And yes, my computer is connected by wifi.
This screenshot is showing a communication log from E120. It is my understanding that all lines starting with TX is transmitted from E120 and lines starting with RX is received from external devices. I expect all the blue coloured messages shown in the OpenCPN Debug Window, to be shown as RX in the E120 log.
E120_log_v1.PNG
E120 log

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:01 pm

Hello Heilo,

Thank you for the screenshots. The messages on the E120 with the label TX are sentences starting with $GP.... which are shown as received in OpenCPN in Green. Also the Green LED blinks. So everything seems OK in the direction E120 > multiplexer > OpenCPN.

On the opposite direction I note that only wifi data can go out through P3. The messages leave OpenCPN as per your screenshot and are received by the multiplexer. I say this 2 reasons. First the blue red blinks. It only blinks when data is output on P3. Also when you were using TCP, OpenCPN showing the messages in blue means that a TCP connection has occurred and data was received by the host (the multiplexer is the host). So OpenCPN > multiplexer > seems OK.

I wrote "OpenCPN > multiplexer >" and not "OpenCPN > multiplexer > E120" because it looks like sentences do not arrive to E120. Are you sure with the setup of the E120? Baud Rate for example. I have a CW90 chartplotter in my boat and your screenshots are very similar to the ones on the CW90. I arrive to my boat next Sunday and I can test. As far as I remember when I want to log input sentences I need to check all that I want. The system presents a list of all Nmea 0183 sentences with a check box for each one. I can select all, none or a set. Did you check this? Also Baud Rate as I referred to before?

A final note: the blue led blinks when data leaves the Wemos module. Data goes through the MAX485 driver before being presented at the P3 port. It could be the case that the driver was dead. But you said that you made the "self-test". So data is going to the E120 but is not accepted or is ignored.

I hope that my comments are useful.

Best Regards, Luis