Navionics App and AIS - Nmea2Wifi and Nmea4Wifi

Discussion and support for the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer - a 4-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Luis Sa
Site Admin

Navionics App and AIS - Nmea2Wifi and Nmea4Wifi

Post by Luis Sa » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:50 pm

Hello,

The popular Navionics Boating App is now capable of displaying AIS targets over the maps. In order to get it working you need:

a) choose UDP protocol and set port number equal to 2000. I tested this last week when I was sailing in Turkey

b) or use TCP and set
  • IP address = 192.168.15.1
  • Port Number = 39150
In the multiplexer settings web page, you can set the port number but the IP Address is fixed at 192.168.4.1 which is not compatible to the Navionics App if you need to use the TCP protocol. However there is an undocumented way to change the IP address available since firmware version 23. In order to force the multiplexer to use a different IP address, say 192.168.15.1, you enter the following in the SSID text box:

NmEaWiFi..192.168.15.1

Note the 2 points ".."! They divide the entered text in 2 parts. The text to the left of ".." is taken as the ssid network name. The text to the right of ".." is taken as the IP address. As there are no errors (the ssid name is a valid one and the IP address is a valid one), the multiplexer will create, in the shown example, a network with name NmEaWiFi and its IP address will be 192.168.15.1.

Regards, Luis

Edited on October, 8, 2019 - After you set a new IP address by the described method, the IP will only start to work when you do a normal Reset or you switch off and on the power supply. If you do that you need to specify this new IP in the web browser to regain access to the settings webpage!

Even Keel

Re: Navionics App and AIS - Nmea2Wifi and Nmea4Wifi

Post by Even Keel » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:37 pm

Luis,
I tested it quickly, in UDP protocol. The App doesn´t confirm the connection but it works.
I was looking for the reason the connection wasn't done, then I remember I read it somewhere in the forum it works anyway.
With the simulation mode, your boat appears quickly then the App take the intern GPS data as localization.
The Ais shows the both boat in Greek Island.

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:52 pm

Hello,

Now that you refer to it, I think I also saw the external GPS for a moment but then the internal GPS takes control. Because of this I used SeaWi instead of Navionics when I prepared the screenshot in this post!

Regards, Luis

eriknoed

Post by eriknoed » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:02 am

In Simulation mode working with Nacionics on iPhone and iPad my experience is, that the connection is done automatical, and the source is referred to as "Digital Yacht WLN10", allthough the source is NMEA4WIFI with standard IP (192.168.4.1) The two AIS targets are shown, but the depth is not.
Any manually entered information (IP and Port) in the "Device connected" prevents the auto connection. Press wheel/setting, select "Forget device" to allow Navionics to auto connect.
I will check this connection matter live on the boat, and inform you.
Best, Erik

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:39 am

Hello Erik,

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Regards, Luis

KerOzenn

Post by KerOzenn » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:52 pm

Hello, I confirm that now for Boating / Navionics with option a) above (UDP), the address should be 0.0.0.0 otherwise it's not working..

regards

KerOzenn

Post by KerOzenn » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:34 pm

Hello, I'm not longer able to connect the devices (NMEA2WIFI and NMEA4WIFI) to Navionics in UDP mode ? Maybe an update has prevented that ? Somebody might help me ?

Fra.

dagnall

Post by dagnall » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:06 pm

Fra,
I assume you have set Address 0.0.0.0 in the Navionics pairing setup, and have the correct port (usually 2000).
Could you post a picture of your NMEAxWifi setup pages, just in case there is something you have missed?

I only discovered the 0.0.0.0 address issue yesterday, but it helped both me and a friend in Brasil..!

There is also some stuff in this other posting that ay be interesting https://www.vela-navega.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=6&t=152
Dagnall

alj

Post by alj » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:47 am

Hi Luis
Thanks for a great product. I have a couple of questions relating to this thread:

1. I have the racing app IRegatta connected to NMEA4Wifi through UDP (host: 0.0.0.0 port: 2000). All is working fine. But I when I then connect Navionics through UDP using same setup then the data stream to IRegatta stops. As soon as I disconnect or shut down Navionics then data starts flowing to IRegatta again. As a workaround I have now connected to IRegatta using TCP instead. Then both apps work and receive data from NMEA4wifi. But is UDP not supposed to support multiple receivers?
2. I have been trying to ascertain if my AIS receiver is properly connected to NMEA4Wifi. I have data out + and - from the AIS connected to A2 and B2 on NMEA4WIFI. I have set port 2 to 38400 baud rate which is what my AIS requires. When I turn on the AIS I observe a brief flash of the green on port 2 but nothing further. I get no AIS data through on Navionics (paired through UDP as described above) and in debug mode in the NMEA4WIFI tool I get no NMEA sentences for AIS. I am trying to sort out if my AIS reception is just really bad or if I have connected it incorrectly.

Kind regards
Allan

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:57 am

Hello Allan,

Thank you for your post. I comment on the 2 subjects.

UDP broadcasting - You can have up to 4 (or 5? never tested 5) devices (tablets, smartphones, etc) connected to the NMEA4WIFI network. And if you use UDP to send data out, that data is not directed to any of the devices in particular. Instead it is broadcasted and all devices that look for the UDP port number will receive that data. This is different for example of having just one device connected to the multiplexer and two apps running on the connected device trying to receive that data. I presume that is your situation. As far as I know operating systems will not allow 2 apps to get the received data simultaneously. I just started a NMEA2WIFI and, using the default settings, I went to simulation mode (fictitious data sent by UDP on port 2000). Then I disconnected the PC (the one I am writing now) from the Home Wifi and connected to the NMEA2WIFI network. Then started OpenCPN on the PC and saw the data on the debug window of OpenCPN being received trough a UDP input connection. Then I did the same on my Android and started SeaWi (receiving at port 2000 by UDP). I could see the fictitious data arriving at SeaWi. And OpenCPN running on the PC did not stop the reception. Then started Navionics on my Android and went to the menu. Got the message "no paired device". Then I closed SeaWi. And at that precise moment Navionics started to show the data coming from the multiplexer.

AIS - it seems you made the right connections. You should also direct P2 to UDP but the problem is not that. The green LED for P2 should blink. Could you connect any other sensor to P2 just to confirm that there is no hardware fault on the receiving circuit for P2 (there is also a test and a video in this forum that allows to test the multiplexer hardware). Are you sure you have set your AIS instrument correctly? I hope you will be able to troubleshoot this problem.

Happy New Year, Luis