How to update Nmea2wifi firmware

Discussion and support for the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Juanvi

Re: How to update Nmea2wifi firmware

Post by Juanvi » Sat May 23, 2020 7:49 pm

Hi Luís,

I tried to update the NMEA2WIFI multiplexer to the latest version 6.2 y 6.3 but after the flash of the firmware, the multiplexer didn't start. I tried several times without success, so I had to revert to version 5.8 that has worked.

When I restart it, the blue light does not stop flashing and the Wi-Fi network does not appear, if I go back to version 5.8 everything works.

The USB Cable is correct and the port reconnects it perfectly

Thank you

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Sun May 24, 2020 10:30 pm

Hello Juanvi,

Please check this forum again. I have revised this topic. Please try to flash the OTA_BLINK.bin file as described.

Regards, Luis

Juanvi

Post by Juanvi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:33 pm

Thank you very much Luis, I have managed to update it to version 6.3

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:14 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. I don't understand why it didn't work in the normal way but at least we found a way to update shall it be necessary.

Regards, Luis

Seabeagle

Post by Seabeagle » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:06 pm

Hi, I have been using nmea2wifi with Digital Yacht AIT250 and it’s been great! I have never upgraded the firmware from the version 5.6.
Now I am ready to upgrade it but I am struggling to find an instruction how to do it… I would like to start with the major upgrade from 2019 to obtain possibility to use wifi for further upgrades. Please look at the screenshot attached- there is no button “Upgrade” on the browser webpage…. What device (Windows-iOS-Android) do I need to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Waldemar
Attachments
IMG_7369.png
IMG_7368.png

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:50 pm

Hello Waldemar,

You need to follow the steps in the beginning of this post. Once you get a newer version supporting OTA changing from one version to another is very easy. Unfortunately at the time of 5.6 the update was not so simple.

If you know how to use Arduino to flash an ESP8266 module, there is an alternative. Otherwise you need to follow the steps in this post.

Regards, Luis

Seabeagle

Post by Seabeagle » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:47 pm

Hi Luis,
I am back on the boat in Lanzarote and trying to update the firmware. I have followed your instructions (factory settings-disconnect device-connect to my Windows 11 laptop). The device manager can see a usb device but no driver installed. I downloaded, unzipped the driver file using link in your instruction but an error occurred… Please look at the screenshots attached. Could it be that the driver is not compatible with the ARM-based system….
Any ideas how to help it?
Thank you, best regards
Waldemar
Attachments
IMG_7581.jpeg
IMG_7582.jpeg

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:10 pm

Hello Waldemar,

That driver is not only necessary to update the firmware using a USB cable but it is also necessary if the multiplexer has to receive or send nmea0183 data from/to a PC, through USB. I don't know if it is possible to install the driver on Windows11 ARM. Just saw here that some people have difficulties:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lasercutting/c ... m_edition/

The official site from the manufacturer is this:

https://www.wch-ic.com/downloads/category/30.html

I wonder if you are able to use another PC just to flash it.

Sorry for not being able to help more, Luis

Seabeagle

Post by Seabeagle » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:28 pm

Thank you very much Luis, I will do more research but most likely I will have to take the device home and try to do it on another PC…
Best wishes
Waldemar

Seabeagle

Post by Seabeagle » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:15 am

Hi Luis
Just to let you know that after a few attempts and communication with the driver developer I have managed to flash the unit and update the firmware to the latest version!
Thank you very much for your help 👍
Best regards from Lanzarote
Waldemar
PS. The link to the driver for ARM systems
https://www.wch-ic.com/downloads/CH341SER_EXE.html