Navionics Boating AIS connection

Discussion and support for the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer - a 2-input Nmea 0183 wifi multiplexer.
Simon

Re: Navionics Boating AIS connection

Post by Simon » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:14 am

Hello Luis,
thank you for this prompt answer and advise.
Please consider that it took hours to set it up and try with different settings and Apps.
In my opinion it is not a matter of short timming.
I have only two wires. One is common ground (NASA PIN 5), the other one is the serial signal (NASA PIN 2 - 38400 Baud).
And if I connect this once directly (without ESP8266) to the chart plotter the static data part will be visible after a while on the plotter.
Anyhow, let me try again when I'm back to the boat and feedback what happens.
One more thing: NASA PIN 9 4800 Baud input from GPS is always connected to the chart plotter. Is it neccessary or has it effect?
Thanks for now.
I will feedback asap.
Simon

PS: And just see the Amplitudes of NASA Output is PC RS232 (0 to 5V)

Simon

Post by Simon » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:47 am

Hello Luis,
very sorry. In the meantime I tried many times but no success. AIS data shown only dynamic data without Name or Call sign etc. as explained above. I consider to sent the devise to you for further investigation.
On board I have installed now a different standard (IOT) device (RS232-to-wifi) and it works right away.
Simon

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Hello Simon,

Thank you for the feedback. I do not remember if you were sending the AIS data through the wired port of the multiplexer, P5. If that was the case the 128 byte output buffer could explain what you noticed. The static Nmea AIS data is very long and take 2 consecutive sentences. For the Nmea2Wifi multiplexer I have a firmware were the buffer works differently. Instead of dropping the sentences if there is no space, the multiplexer waits until space is available.

I assume that you no more interested in the multiplexer. But if that is not the case I will be happy to send you a similar firmware for the 4 input multiplexer.

Best Regards, Luis (in Skopelos, Greece)

Simon

Post by Simon » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:57 pm

Hello Luis,
sorry, but I don't know your meaning with P5.
I have the NMEA2wifi Multiplexer. The Nasa AIS receiver is connected to P2 with 38400 baud.
Checkboxes either P#2 to UDP or P#2 to TCP both is possible and works.
So, I build the device, and yesterday I did a second hardwarecheck, re-solder most of the elements, doublecheck the correctiveness of the resistors etc. to eliminate potential mistakes may overlooked.
Yes, I like to continue with the fault finding and be happy if you can provide a different update.
(Running currently 6.3)
Let's see if there is a problem with the buffer.
Thanks in advance for your continues support.
Best regards and enjoy you time in Greece
Simon

Luis Sa
Site Admin

Post by Luis Sa » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:31 am

Hello Simon,

I thought you had the 4 input multiplexer. Since you have the Nmea2wifi you can try this binary:

https://www.vela-navega.com/nmea2wifi/v ... FIV63G.bin

It is the same as version 63 but if the P2 output buffer is full the multiplexer waits instead of dropping the sentence. Hope that solves your AIS problem.

Regards, Luis

Simon

Post by Simon » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:45 pm

Hello Luis,
I flash the file. (6.3 G) and will report the results as soon as I'm back on board.
Thank you!
Best regards
Simon

Leon

Post by Leon » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:18 am

I am back home now so can't double check anything; however, I too only got the mmsi number and sometimes a few other bits of info on my Navionics / iPad plotter set up. I had to go to the actual AIS device to get CPA etc.